1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

{Advice Offered} - Help with Service Packs

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by kdhtime, Feb 22, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kdhtime

kdhtime Thread Starter

Hi guys! I have NT 4.0 with service pack 1 installed. I downloaded SP5 but when I ran the program it said File Corrupted. So I decided not to jump so far ahead. I downloaded SP2 it is now installed and working great.

When I downloaded SP3 and tried to run it, I received the File Corrupt message. I get the same message with SP4. I downloaded the files from home and burned them on a CD. When I ran the files at work from the CD I received messages saying the Self Extracting Program could find several files. NT then wouldn't boot. I had to do a repair install.

The server is a PII 400, 64 Meg, 4.3 Hard Drive, NTFS Partition.

I would appreciate any help. Thanks!

2. Reuel Miller

Reuel Miller

Greetings

I think the problem is with the Service Packs that you have downloaded. I do not think that the download has finished correctly. Your best bet is to get a decent FTP program, like CuteFTP, and log onto the Microsoft FTP server, and download the SP from there. I suggest downloading the latest version of Service Pack, SP6a. Don't worry that you might get SP6, as that is no longer available on the M$ FTP server.

Otherwise, see if you can not somehow get this SP from a pressed CD (either from a magazine, or your service provider or your hardware/software provider; there may be a nominal fee for the cost of the CD).

It is imperative that you get OFF Service pack 2, as this was a very buggy service pack. You need to get on AT LEAST SP3, with SP6a being the best...

Now, extract all the files before running the update program. To do this, from a command line type: SP6i386 /x

This will just extract the files without installing them. If they extract fine, then you can try installing the SP.

Don't worry if you click into the Directory with the unpacked SP files in it, and all you see are Font Files... this is because there is a Desktop.ini file in the directory that NT sees and assumes that the folder is a font's folder. To get around this, use Windows NT Explorer, and click on the + sign in the left panel next to the expanded files directory. Underneath it, should be an UPDATE direcotry. Click on this directory and you will see an UPDATE.EXE file. Click on this file to start the SP update.

Hope that helps

------------------
    Reuel Miller
    Windows NT Moderator (yes, that does make me biased :) )

[email protected]

Every morning is the dawn of a new error...

3. kdhtime

kdhtime Thread Starter

Thanks Reuel. I downloaded SP3 with CuteFTP. When I extract the SP on NT with the /x extension I get the corrupt file message. If I extract the file on my Win98 computer with the /x extension it extracts just fine.

Do you think I can safely install the SP using the files I extracted on my Win98 computer?

Thanks!

4. Reuel Miller

Reuel Miller

Greetings

Are you running a virus protection software on the NT machine? If so, I think it may be messing with the SP (this is just a shot in the dark).

The files extracted in Win98 should be OK, but i would not trust them. Make sure the file extracts properly in NT.

Cheers

------------------
    Reuel Miller
    Windows NT Moderator (yes, that does make me biased :) )

[email protected]

Every morning is the dawn of a new error...

5. kdhtime

kdhtime Thread Starter

Hey Reuel!

No I don't have any other programs in memory when I run the SP's. Can I order them from Microsoft? Will microsoft even help me with this problem?

Thanks!

6. Reuel Miller

Reuel Miller

Greetings

I am sure that you can order the Service pack CDs from Microsoft. You may need to pay a fee though, but it will be worth it.

Cheers

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/28379

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice