1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

{Advice Offered} - How to edit programs that start at Start up

Discussion in 'Archive: Windows NT/2000/XP' started by pmartinez, Mar 2, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pmartinez

pmartinez Thread Starter

does anyone know how to disable applications so that they won't start up. i know how to do it in Windows 98, but not in 2k pro. if so, let me know. thanks

2. webmin

webmin

i know how to do it in windows nt but i think its the same in 2000. goto control panel and then services, select the program you dont want to rtun on boot up and disable it

3. wedor

wedor

Try looking in "Documents and Settings">"All Users">"Start Menu">"Programs">"Start Up" some can be disabled there.

4. BluesDog

BluesDog

Run-regedit.exe, delete keys here:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

AND/OR HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

OR GET http://www.vtoy.fi/jv16/RegCleaner.exe

5. pmartinez

pmartinez Thread Starter

thanks guys for your help. i really appreciate you all helping me out. [​IMG] i got it now.

6. Reuel Miller

Reuel Miller

Greetings

I know you have been all sorted out already, but I am going to post all the places that one can look for programs that start up, so that I can archive this thread for others to use.

In Win2K/NT4 there are only 2 places where programs can be started on bootup, namely the Start menu "Startup" folders and the registry. In Win9x/ME, there are two other places, namely the autoexec.bat file (this does not work in WinME) and the Win.ini file (on the lines starting with "Load=" and "Run=").

To edit the entries in the "Startup" Folders, just righ click on the start button and select open or explore (remember to do this with both your own profile's Startup folder and the ALL USER'S Startup folder). If you see the name of the offending program, just delete the shortcut and it will not start on startup.

Next, is the registry. Here is a list of keys that could possibly exist on your workstation that will start up programs on start up. Not all of them will always exist, so do not be alarmed if some do not appear on your system:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServicesOnce

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServicesOnce

I would suggest exporting the key with the offending program before deleting the registry entry, just to be safe.

Now... some programs check to see if you have set them up to start on startup and will put entries into the registry or start menu automatically for you when they are installed. Some of these programs, will also periodically check to see that the registry entry or start menu shortcut is still there. If you have deleted it, it will replace it (examples of programs like this are MSN Messenger and Real Player). For programs like this, you actually have to go into the options of the program and set them not to start at start up.

I hope this helps

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/29962