1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

{Advice offered} - Multiple machine profiles for a user

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by [email protected], Oct 19, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jmy@work

[email protected] Thread Starter

Have a switched network running TCP/IP. Students have been using 95 client machines. Now have 2 labs with 98. Using user profiles (user.man) for all kids. Problem occurs when they log on to a 98 machine. Since there profile is for 95, the machine goes through gyrations getting things converted. As a result, have disabled profiles for these machines, and users are changing the machines willy-nilly. I want to have a way for users to be able to have a profile for each machine.

Had the idea of making a duplicate user acct for each kid (we use numbers): 4065L to indicate an account for use in the lab (98 machine). Kid would use 4065 acct for other workstations. same home directory. Set the 4065L to look for the profile in somewhere other than the home directory. Questions: will this work?, is it the best way to solve this problem? Ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. Reuel Miller

Reuel Miller

Greetings

Another way to do this, would be to use Policies.

Instead of restricting each profile, you can set a system wide Policy, so that whenever a student logs onto a workstation, it locks the workstation down and restricts access to the Control Panel, to certain Start menu options (like the Run command) etc.

If you look on your NT CD (I can not remember if Policy Editor gets loaded in the basic load for NT Server, I think it does, but it might not), under tools or Utils, you will find it.

The one thing to remember, is to create the policies on the OS that it is going to effect. So, win95 policies must be created on a win95 machine, win98 on a win98 machine and NT policies on an NT machine (ie. you run the Poledit.exe from a PC with the correct OS).

Cheers

------------------
    Reuel Miller
    Windows NT Moderator (yes, that does make me biased :) )

[email protected]

Every morning is the dawn of a new error...

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/29289

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice