1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

{Advice Offered} - need advice for network

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by help*me*please, Jan 26, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. help*me*please

help*me*please Thread Starter

I need to theoretically network 4 PC computers for a class. The computers are currently running Win95. The specs of the computers are:

486/25 MHz processor, 80 MB hard drive, 8 MB RAM

486/66 MHz processor, 120 MB hard drive, 16 MB RAM

Pentium 75 MHz Processor, 120 MB hard drive, 16 MB RAM

Pentium 133 MHz processor, 1 GB hard drive, 32 MB RAM

Security is not important. Trying to find an inexpensive solution. The users will not be technical wizards.

Questions - What type of network would you recommend and why? What role would you assign to each of the four workstations and any other equipment you recommend? What type of upgrades might the workstations require to make your solution work?

please help me, thank you

2. LarryCore

LarryCore

Well, I would put in one NIC per computer, use standard Windows 95 peer to peer networking. I would try to upgrade all machines to at least 32 meg RAM, but 16 would do if I couldn't manage 32.

Hell, I guess 8 would work, but it sure would be slow.

I would go with CAT5 patch cables and a small, inexpensive hub, to physically connect the machines. You could use BNC (coax type) cable and skip the hub, but hubs are so cheap now that I don't think that is a good idea.

As for roles - put all the shared files on the P133 since it has the most space and is the fastest.

------------------
    Get free stuff and help out a poor computer tech:
    LarryCore begs for money

3. stepho

stepho

I have a similar situation with one Win 95 and one Win 98 computer attached to a Linksys hub. There is a DSL line also attached to the hub. I cannot seem to "see" the Win 95 PC or vice versa. Is there some reason that 95 and 98 don't network peer to peer? Thanks much.

4. Reuel Miller

Reuel Miller

Greetings

Stepho: Please post this problem in a new thread. We like to keep each thread focussed on one problem. Thanks

------------------
    Reuel Miller
    Windows NT Moderator (yes, that does make me biased :) )

[email protected]

Every morning is the dawn of a new error...

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/29780

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice