Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

{Advice Offered} - Networking ? - probably easy to answer

685 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Reuel Miller 
#1 ·
Okay, here's my trouble: Our school has a computer lab, an easy, basic setup, with 21 computers plus the teachers computer all hubbed together. No central server. The teacher's computer is hooked to the internet through the library's Netware IPX protocol. However, the other 21 computers are not. I need to install an IPX 32-bit Netware protocol on the other computers. (TEacher=w98, others=w95b) Now, the driver is not on the W95 cd, and I don't have the driver disk, so i copied the driver from the teacher's computer. The problem is, when i tried to install it, it says "The specified location does not contain information about your hardware" Any ideas???

#2 ·
Windows is pick about the darn drivers... You will have to locate teh driver and actually browse to it then type the path in the input box. For some reason it dosent do a search for the driver files. This is the best I can offer. Others may be able to assist you more. t

#3 ·
yepp....tried that. I actually copied the entire INF directory from the teacher's computer to the one of the other computers, but to a different folder. When i went in under networking, add..protocol..have disk...i choose the directory, and a window appeared with all the network protocols in the folder i copied. i clicked novell, then clicked on the ipx 32-bit .... just like was on the teacher's computer. But when I hid OK, a dialogue box said "the specified location does not contain information about your hardware." Any ideas?

#4 ·
Greetings

As far as I know, the IPX/SPX protocol *is* on the Win95 CD. In fact, IPX/SPX and NetBEUI used to be loaded as defaults in Win95 pre-OSR2.

I am sure if you go to networking, and try to add a protocol, select it from the Microsoft Company and the name is IPX/SPX-compatible protocol. It will be on the Win95 CD. You may also need to add the Client for Novell Networks.

Otherwise, you may need to get the win95 install files for the Novell Network Client, from Novell.

Cheers

------------------
Reuel Miller
Windows NT Moderator (yes, that does make me biased :) )

rmiller@xperts.co.za

Every morning is the dawn of a new error...

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.