1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

{Advice Offered} - no access to a share...

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by wtp763, Jul 27, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wtp763

wtp763 Thread Starter

I have a dhcp network 1pdc 2bdc's. I have setup a share on one of the bdc's which I have given everyone full access to. I can see it from my NT workstation, however, one of the NT users in our domain cannot see it. Any suggestions?

2. Reuel Miller

Reuel Miller

Greetings

Does that user have any trouble accessing other network resources?

Are there any restrictions on the share, or in the NTFS security settings? Remember, when deciding which permissions to grant, NT will grant the least restrictive of all the share permissions, and the least restrictive of all the NTFS permissions, but the MOST restrictive of the two (except when one of the groups that the user in in, is assigned NO ACCESS, then the no access permission will apply - No Access ALWAYS supercedes any other access permission).

What this means, is that assume that User1 is in group1 and group2 but not in group3.

If the share permission is assigned as follows:
    Group1 - Read
    Group2 - Read/Write
    Group3 - No Access

Then the user will get Read/Write access.

If the NTFS permission is as follows:
    Group1 - Read/Write/Modify
    Group2 - List
    Group3 - Full Control

Then the user will get Read/Write/Modify rights...

But, if both those permissions apply to the same share, then the user in question will only get Read/Write permissions and no modify permission.

A user in Group 3 will get No Access, even if he is in all the other three groups. A user only in Group2 will get List permission.

Back to your problem... Does the user get any errors when he logs onto the domain? Can he map to other shared directories?

It might be that his machine's computer account in the domain has become corrupted, but if this were true, he would not be able to log onto the domain. Also, if he has changed his password and not logged off and back on, then he might have the same problem, or oif his password has expired and he has not changed ot to a new one, then this might occur

Hope this helps

------------------
    Reuel Miller
    Windows NT Moderator (yes, that does make me biased :) )

[email protected]

Every morning is the dawn of a new error...

3. wtp763

wtp763 Thread Starter

The user has full rights to the share. She can also access other domain shares with no problem.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/28951

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice