1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

{Advice Offered} - No mouse in safe mode

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by ArtGuy, Dec 12, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ArtGuy

ArtGuy Thread Starter

My mouse won't work when I go into Win 2k Prof safe mode The keyboard controls don't work very well either, not well enough to be able to open folders.

2. LarryCore

LarryCore

Are you saying that they DO work in regular mode?

Are these USB or some special kind of devices or just plain old PS/2 connected mice / keyboards?

------------------
    Get free stuff and help out a poor computer tech:
    LarryCore begs for money

Vote for the best Tech Support site every day: VOTE for Helponthe.net!

3. ArtGuy

ArtGuy Thread Starter

Nothing fancy, just a plain vanilla Microsoft mouse that works perfectly under normal Windows mode. Weird, huh?

4. LarryCore

LarryCore

You didn't tell us what kind of connection it has. MS makes mice that are USB, PS/2 and serial.

Quite odd that it works in normal mode but not Safe, I agree. But I've never tested USB in Safe Mode...

------------------
    LarryCore begs for money

5. ArtGuy

ArtGuy Thread Starter

Sorry for being short on info. The mouse is serial, the keyboard is the old standard AT plug-it-in-the-back variety. By the way, in Safe Mode the keyboard is not toally unusable, just crippled. The mouse, of course, is dead.
    Thanks for your help.

6. LarryCore

LarryCore

Well, I'm out of ideas. I can't think of any reason for a serial mouse to not work in Safe Mode when it does work in Regular... unless it is NOT on COM1 or COM2. Safe Mode doesn't seem to like mice on COM3 or higher...

------------------
    LarryCore begs for money

7. ArtGuy

ArtGuy Thread Starter

Larry, the mouse is one Com 1, but thanks for your input. I'll try not to have to go into safe mode. (I wish!)
    Kaye (aka ArtGuy)

8. Reuel Miller

Reuel Miller

Greetings

Ok, I also have no idea why the mouse would not work, but here is something you can try.

1) Unplug any modems you have connected, or anything else that is plugged into a serial port, besides the mouse.

2) Setup the different Safe Modes in the boot.ini file. That way, you can get into safe mode without having to hit F8, and you have more control over your enviroment. For more information on how to do this, check out this M$ Technet article: Safe-Mode Boot Switches for Windows 2000 Boot.ini File

I must say, though, that I have been running Win2K for over 7-8 months now, and I have installed it on many different computers, and I have only ever needed to get into Safe Mode once... and that was earlier this morning to answer somebody else's question [​IMG]

What are you doing that requires the need to get into safe mode so often?

I hope this helps

------------------
    Reuel Miller
    Windows NT Moderator (yes, that does make me biased [​IMG] )

[email protected]

Every morning is the dawn of a new error...

[This message has been edited by Reuel Miller (edited 12-19-2000).]

9. ArtGuy

ArtGuy Thread Starter

Actually, I've only gone into safe mode twice in the six months I've been running Win 2K so I don't live or die with it. I'll try what you've suggested, however and thanks for your input. Your note also suggests going into boot.ini which leads to another problem: I can't get boot.ini to run on my computer even though my second machine sitting three feet away runs it w/o any problem. I am going to post this on the board for feedback unless you have a magic answer.
    Thanks

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/29543

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice