{Advice Offered} - PC's are using ICS perfectly, but rarely appear in the others network neighbourho

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Mad Ad

Machine 1
P3/Abit BX6-2/256mb
NIC1 3com Etherlink XL PCI connected to Cablemodem
NIC2 3com 3c509b TPO ISA connected to PC2

Cabling - cat5/rj45 (crossover)

Machine 2
AMD200/64mb
NIC realtek PCI

Both PC's running Win98SE
Zone alarm functioning (both PC's, but makes no difference if disarmed)

Protocols installed
TCP/IP
Win ICS
File & print sharing (with shares configured on both)

I can ping either machine from each other, with no probs, the 2nd PC can browse the net as fast as machine 1 does. Both can run and exchange ICQ files (@ 165kps)and have independant streaming apps running simultaniously.

In Either PC's net neighbourhood we see our own machine, but not the other.(usually)

Ive only ever seen the other PC in network neighbourhood twice. And I dont know how it appears. The first time I had just installed the 2nd PC's NIC and it appeared - however after both reboot they loose sight.

I fiddled with it a few nights ago, and made the server PC the browse master, which on rebooting the server magicly made the terminal appear in my server net neighbourhood, via the find computer - YAY, I checked thro the cat5, opened some files on the terminal from the server and thought Id cured it - but no, on bootup ....... nothing again.

Ive tried 'searching' for the other computer on the network, loads of times a day .... ive followed all instructions on the major networking sites, the only thing left is to enable netbui, which shouldnt be necessary over tcp/ip - and especially as it works on the odd occasion.

client for MS networks is on both machines, drives are shared, workgroup is the same name & case, ive booted the server, waited 5 and booted the terminal many times, I've deleted the .pwl files and both machines have a password ... now what? im out of ideas

thoughts anyone pleeeeeeeeeaaasssssseee!!!!!!!

[This message has been edited by Mad Ad (edited 09-26-2000).]

Greetings

Well... you seem to have all your bases covered. Installing NetBEUI might work (in fact, as long as your machine names are different, it should).

I do not know why it is not working with TCP/IP though. Probably because you are using ICS that comes with Win98. Personally, I use Avirt's SOHO Internet Sharing Package.

I have it installed at home, and at a friend's work, and it work's perfectly.

Worst comes to the worst, you map a drive to the other PC. You do not need the Network Neighbourhood, with just two PCs

Cheers

------------------
Reuel Miller
Windows NT Moderator (yes, that does make me biased :) )

[email protected]

Every morning is the dawn of a new error...

Mad Ad

Hi Reuel - thanks for replying, im now v disheartened, to have done it all as its supposed to be done and have you agree it should be working.

The 2 times it did appear, both times a reboot of both machines the next day lost it again.

I uninstalled ICS at one point, and just worked through the net bits - with no luck.

One thing, does the client NIC cfg need to be full duplex?? ive never touched it - and the server nic is an ISA 3c509, i read that full dup into a half dup device causes hassles, so havent tried it, but its about the only variable ive not fiddled with.

We had terrible recognition/irq probs with a 3c509 in the terminal - ended up swapping it for a PCI, but my more up to date (server) machine sensed and installed the 509 with no conflicts, and seems to be ok, link lights on, passes ICS data and pings from 1 to 2 in the server, or server to terminal, or terminal to server fine.

these are the only areas left i think, any clues in there???

Thanks again for the post - theres gotta be a simple answer, shame only bill gates knows what it is at this time.

/me selects hair strands to tear out

[This message has been edited by Mad Ad (edited 09-28-2000).]

Greetings

Silly question here... you are logging into the machines with a username and password right?

Have you tried a different modem sharing package?

What happened when you installed NetBEUI?

Have you tried using LMHOSTS files on each PC?

Cheers

------------------
Reuel Miller
Windows NT Moderator (yes, that does make me biased :) )

[email protected]

Every morning is the dawn of a new error...

hi,
hate to be the bearer of bad news,
There is a good chance that you wont be able to use network neighbourhoodlike you used to because ics seems to reqiure that the host and client machines be on seperate subnet masks, but to be able to view machines in network neighbourhood they need the same subnet mask.
I have the same type of problem on my 3-way network, the 2 client pc's can browse each other, but not the server and the server cant browse the clients but all can map each other.
I would love to be proved wrong on this so i can start browsing my network like i used to and to get one over on my boss.

Mawi

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online