1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

{Advice offered} - Roaming NT Profile

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by PikaPikaDude, Mar 9, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. PikaPikaDude

PikaPikaDude Thread Starter

I would like to change an existing NT user profile from a local to a roaming but the option in System Properties>User Profiles is greyed out.

Can I change a profile and if yes then how?

If I have to start a fresh then please tell me how to do that too.

Thank You

PikaPikaDude

2. Reuel Miller

Reuel Miller

Greetings

Ok, the setting to set the user's profile from local to raoming is NOT set on a workstation, but on the Primary Domain Controller, using User Manager for Domains.

In the user's profile setting, a blank setting means that the profile is local and that the user will have a different profile on each workstation he visits. If, in that section, you specify (via UNC naming convention) a folder on a server that contains the user's profile, then where ever he logs in, that profile will be downloaded to the workstation, and uploaded when he logs off.

For that reason, it is a good idea to disable the uploading and downloading of the temporary internet files (for a how-to on how to do this, click here, and making sure the users do not save files to their Personal Folder, but straight to their home drive on the server.

And, to make the profile Mandatory, just rename the NTuser.dat file in the root of the profile to NTuser.man

And excellent resource for setting up roaming profiles, manadatory or otherwise can be found here.

Hope this helps

------------------
    Reuel Miller
    Windows NT Moderator (yes, that does make me biased :) )

[email protected]

Every morning is the dawn of a new error...

3. PikaPikaDude

Monday morning and I am now at work and will try what you suggest.

BTW I did try it on the Domain Controller first.

Thanks

PikaPikaDude

4. Reuel Miller

Reuel Miller

Greetings

If you put an entry in User Manager for Domains for his roaming profile and then let him log on, it may have created a {username}.000 directory on his PC, thus giving him a brand new profile (with the awful blue/green microSoft background). What you may need to do, is log onto his PC with a different account, but with an account that will have Write rights to the network share that his profile will reside on. Then copy his entire (and make sure all files are showing to get some of the hidden files and directories; and you do NOT need to copy the Temp Internet Files across) profile directory contents to the roaming profile's directory.

Then let him log on.

You should also make sure that any BDC that may validate him when he logs on is syncronised with the domain after you make a change to his profile path. If this is not done, then he may be validated with an old copy of his account details which do not include the new path to his roaming profile.

The reason is that while some changes to a user's account are important and applied domain wide almost immediately (ie an account lockout), some changes are not that important (eg. profile directory changes) and wait for normal replication to take place before they update BDC's. So, just open up Server manager, select the BDC that will likely validate him, and chose the "Syncronise with Primary Domain Controller" from the menu. Also, Be warned, you are awful close to the "Promote to Primary Domain Controller", and you do NOT want to select this. If you do, you might end up promoting you last remaining NT3.51 Pent100 with 64 Megs of memory to Primary Domain controller. The technical term for this kind of action is a CLM, or Career Limiting Maneuver. [​IMG]

So, tell us if the problem is fixed.

Cheers

------------------
    Reuel Miller
    Windows NT Moderator (yes, that does make me biased :) )

[email protected]

Every morning is the dawn of a new error...

5. PikaPikaDude

Sorry for the delay in replying.

We have only one server so no need to worry about a BDC.

I am reaing the M$ notes and will get back to you.

Thank You

PikaPikaDude

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/28444

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice