1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

{Advice offered} - Windows 2000 and Gaming

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by NormanSmiley, Feb 1, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NormanSmiley

NormanSmiley Thread Starter

Just wondering whether upgrading to 2000 would be a good idea. I like gaming and tweaking, but don't want to suffer any performance decreases by upgrading. I currently have Win98.

PS- Is it better to upgrade from 98 to 2000 or to format and just install 2000?

------------------
    NormanSmiley
    My Page
    Get paid to surf the net!

2. Jim Holly

Jim Holly

I'm running 2000 on a seperate partition with dual-boot capabilities between it and Win98. I wouldn't recommend replacing your Win98 with it, as there are still too many programs and devices out there that won't run in Win2K, yet. Check the <A href="http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/upgrade/default.asp">MS WIN2K Upgrade</a> site for more info, and a compatibility check that will tell you what you currently have that won't work with 2K.

A large majority of the games will work fine in 2K, but I've read of some that won't.

3. Reuel Miller

Reuel Miller

Greetings

Well, the big thing with Win2K is that we finally have DirectX7.1 on an NT platform.

So, any of the new games will run under Win2K. Other very old games will not (like Prince of Persia, and Leisure Suit Larry 1, etc). But then again, they never worked on NT4 either.

I would wait a few months before installing Win2K, to make sure all my hardware is supported by Win2K. And when they are, do nut Upgrade Win98... either dual boot, or format and re-install.

I have never seen a M$ product Upgrade smoothly.

Just my humble opinions

Cheers

------------------
    Reuel Miller
    Windows NT Moderator (yes, that does make me biased :) )

[email protected]

Every morning is the dawn of a new error...

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/28282

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice