1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

{Advice Offered} - Windows 2000 Professional, 2000 Server, 2000 Anvanced Server--the difference?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Alex Ethridge, Aug 28, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge Thread Starter

Will someone please explain to me briefly what the difference is between all of these? Why would one want one over the other?

I guess that Windows 2000 is sort of like NT Workstation. If not, please tell me.

And what is the difference between Windows 2000 Server and 2000 Advanced Server?

2. Reuel Miller

Reuel Miller

Greetings

Win2K Professional is, indeed, just NT Workstation 5.0

The real difference between Win2K Server and Win2K Advanced Server is scalability. To quote a CNET article: "Three versions of the operating system will be available next week (it's an old article): Windows 2000 Professional, aimed at PCs and workstations; Windows 2000 Server, for file-and-print servers; and Windows 2000 Advanced Server, supporting clustering, which is a way of making several systems act as a single, more powerful computer.

To quote the FAQ from www.winmag.com:
    Windows 2000 Professional is the workstation edition of Windows 2000. This is basically Windows NT Workstation 5.0, although Win2K Professional of course includes all of the new technologies for Win2K.

Windows 2000 Server/Advanced Server is the server edition of Windows 2000, which is designed to serve small- to mid-sized businesses and workgroups. Server supports up to 4GB of physical RAM and up to 4 processors per computer. Advanced Server supports up to 8GB of RAM and 8 processors per computer.

Windows 2000 Datacenter Server is designed for large businesses and computer clusters. Datacenter supports up to 32 processors per computer and up to 64GB of RAM, as well as built-in clustering and load-balancing features.

Is that what you wanted?

Cheers

------------------
    Reuel Miller
    Windows NT Moderator (yes, that does make me biased :) )

[email protected]

Every morning is the dawn of a new error...

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/29052

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice