1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

advice on a graphics card

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mcklk, Feb 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mcklk

mcklk Thread Starter

Hope this is the right place to post. I am about to purchase a Samsung 19in LCD 941? monitor for my Dell Dimension 4500. Apparently to get the full effects I would need to replace my graphics card. (I think the monitor has both analog and dvi) I really am not a "gamer" although my son does play a few on line games, therefore I would like to keep it under 80 dollars or so.
    My computer specs are as follows:
    Dell Dimension 4500 2.4 GHz / 512 mb Ram
    PCI 33 mhz
    AGP 66 mhz
    4x/2x modes at 1.5V

I currently run NVIDIA GeForce4 mx 420 which is PCI Bus 1

I am not a computer expert and want to install it myself....After some reading, AGP is better?
    Where is that on my computer? I looked at my manual..but I can't really tell although I am looking at it with a flashlight because I didn't disconnect things yet.

I was looking at the Diamond Stealth Radeon 9250/256 mb PCI or the
    NVidia GeForce 6200 AGP 8x video card

Are these any good. Any suggestions to a novice would be helpful...Thank You.

2. seahawk

seahawk

First off AGP and PCI are two different animals and go into different types of slots on the MB. Of the two, I suggest AGP if you have that slot available to you. AGP offers you more options and is a step above PCI for video.

3. xtreampb

xtreampb

from my experience AGP is the shorther brown slot usually located above all of the PCI cards

4. Flags

Flags

mckik: PCI bus 1 is your AGP slot, so you can use an AGP video card. I would suggest you check out a 128 MB card with both an analog and DVI outlet. That way if you ever get a flat panel LCD with DVI input you'll be covered.
    You should be able to find one at www.newegg.com for under $80.

5. mcklk

mcklk Thread Starter

thanks for your suggestion. One more thing though, I was looking at a NVidia GeForce 6200 with the following system requirements:

Intel Pentium 4/III/II/Celeron, AMD K6/Athlon or compatible with AGP 8X (0.8V)/4X (1.5V) slot 128MB RAM CD-ROM drive DVD-ROM drive 1GHZ minimum processor speed for MPEG-2 video capture 350W system power supply Operating Systems: Microsoft Windows 2000 Microsoft Windows XP
    Host Interface AGP 4x
    AGP 8x
    Product Name GeForce 6200 Graphics Card
    Graphics Resolution 2048 x 1536 @ 85Hz Maximum

When I looked at my computer, the AGP said something about 66 mhz and 4x/2x 1.5V

I see something above about AGP 4x and 8x. Would I have a problem?

Thanks for your help.

6. seahawk

seahawk

It should work though you are looking at a high end card in a low end MB. Card would be OK if you may upgrade your computer some day.

7. mcklk

mcklk Thread Starter

The Nvidia geforce 6200 is considered a high end card? It is about 65 dollars. Should I get something cheaper or with 128mb? As I said before, my son is the only gamer here and eventually he will get his own computer so I am looking for something to make a new lcd monitor with a dvi connector get the most color etc.

My concern is all the posts I see regarding that "blue Screen" thing and over-clocking (what the heck is that?) and just I really have never put a video card in my computer. I hope I can do it. Will I have to uninstall driver's etc or will they automatically uninstall when you put in the new video card stuff.? Guess I just don't want to create problems but I do want the new Monitor.

8. catlady13

catlady13

I have plugged my 19" lcd monitor into everything from an old 233 mhz computer with onboard graphics to my p4 with dvi output and a 256meg 9800 pro agp card and had no problems and had a good picture with any and all of them. I use a KVM switch to swap around cause I help a lot of friends with their computers and that way I don't have to bring home their monitors etc. Why don't you just try the monitor first on your computer and see how you like it ??

9. seahawk

seahawk

With high end I did not mean $$$ but what was 'under the hood' so to speak. PCI Express is becoming more and more popular and driving down the price of what used to be top of the line AGP cards at the lower end of the scale. PCI Express is a whole different MB.

Wear a static strap or ground yourself to the frame of the computer before working inside. One zap can do serious damage. Just open the one side and remove (flip back lock-down first) the current board. Lift up and out but do not touch the plug part of any card (body oils aren't good).
    Install new card pressing down firmly and make sure the lock down is in place on the back side. Reinstall screw to hold card in place. Install drivers that came with the card.
    If you are moving away from on-board graphics you will need to enter "Device Manager" (right click "My Computer" choose " Manage" and "Device Manager" and "Display Adapters" to disable the on-board graphics and make sure the card you just installed is enabled.
    Make sure any power is hooked up to the card if necessary.

10. Flags

Flags

mckik: Let's back up for a minute here. Your first post said you were about to buy a 19" LCD. Where did you get the idea that you needed to upgrade your video card?
    You already have a 64MB card installed in your Dell 4500.
    I have a Dell 4550 that is hooked up to a 19" Hanns G Wide screen LCD using the analog D sub, and the picture is perfect.
    If your son is playing his games now with the 64MB card and is satisfied with them, and he is getting his own computer sometime in the future, I see no reason to spend the $65 for a new card. Spend it on his new computer.

11. mcklk

mcklk Thread Starter

All of you have been very helpful. I guess I will just buy the monitor first. I was reading the reviews for the monitor and a few people said that you needed to have a dvi input but then later on someone said that it was analog so...i don't know...I just thought that there would be some major difference with clarity but then again I am not really up on all the latest computer stuff...hence the posting!! I am so happy I found this site!!

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/544315

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice