Solved Advice on buying a refurbished Laptop

dano_61

Hello

I am looking for advice on buying a refurbished laptop, I found some good deals on Amazon some running Chrome O/S and some running windows
My intended use is for everyday surfing Facebook and YouTube videos
Can I attach Amazon links here of the laptops I have in mind

Thank you

Dan

TerryNet

Terry
Moved to Hardware from Android Mobile Devices because I think few or no refurbished laptops will have Android installed.

Yes, Dan, you may give us those links to ask for advice. I'm confident that you know not to do so to advertise the products. :)

dano_61

Thanks for responding Terry, the links will show the Laptop names ?

TerryNet

Terry
What do you want to know about those? One has a 13" screen and the others 11". Otherwise they look pretty similar.

plodr

Liz
Beware of buying a used chromebook. They have an End of Life. Bookmark this site
https://support.google.com/chrome/a/answer/6220366

a) renewed Dell 11.6" 16GB ssd (my new July 2021 Chromebook has a 32GB ssd - might just be me but I think 16GB is too small. It also doesn't state what ports. Mine came with 2 - USB 3 C ports that also are display ports if I want to add an additional screen and 2 legacy USB3 ports )
Find this out because this might be the only one worth purchasing. I can't find anything on Dell model JJTK.

b) Pass I stay away from unknown brands. I never heard of KJD and I can't seem to find any info on the company.

c) Pass end of life Chromebook 13 (CB5-311, C810) Sep 2019 This means the dhrome browser, tied in the the OS, will not be updated. Sites will complain about using an out of date browser.

d) Pass newer than the above but still end of life Chromebook 11 (C740) Jun 2021

e) Pass end of life Chromebook 11 (C720, C720P) Jun 2019

f) Pass I can't find 200MA the closest I found was this
Chromebook C200 Jun 2019

Why not look for a sale. I bought a new Acer CB311 on sale for $129.99 in July. The end of life will not be reached until June 2026. It has 32 GB and 4 ports.

dano_61

Thanks Liz

I was worried about the Chrome book also , I want a apple but they are over priced even the older models
I will wait for a sale , I am not I am a 100% I want a laptop I am considering a tablet

Liz is hundred percent right on chromebooks. I purchased an Asus brand about 4-5 years ago from Amazon. Loved it. Still do. Here’s the issue. Most buyers don’t know when the product was manufactured and how long Google will support it! I had no idea. Eventually, I was aware of it. At some point, you won’t be able to update it. You can still use it. I never ran into any problem using my Asus (that no longer updates) with add-ons. Bottom line: good idea to skip used/old Chromebooks.

Also, huge difference between laptops and tablets!!! Decide what your purpose is. There are many things I can do with my Asus chromebook and Asus laptop That I cannot with a tablet. Most tablets( cheap ones) are not worth it. At least, my opinion. iPad by far the best, Samsung is okay. iPad is a glorified iPhone with bigger screen and faster processor. I use my ipad mostly for simple tasks. email, quick internet search, reading magazines borrowed from my local library, listening to music via Bluetooth speaker, etc. fun to have it.

dano_61

Liz is hundred percent right on chromebooks. I purchased an Asus brand about 4-5 years ago from Amazon. Loved it. Still do. Here’s the issue. Most buyers don’t know when the product was manufactured and how long Google will support it! I had no idea. Eventually, I was aware of it. At some point, you won’t be able to update it. You can still use it. I never ran into any problem using my Asus (that no longer updates) with add-ons. Bottom line: good idea to skip used/old Chromebooks.

Also, huge difference between laptops and tablets!!! Decide what your purpose is. There are many things I can do with my Asus chromebook and Asus laptop That I cannot with a tablet. Most tablets( cheap ones) are not worth it. At least, my opinion. iPad by far the best, Samsung is okay. iPad is a glorified iPhone with bigger screen and faster processor. I use my ipad mostly for simple tasks. email, quick internet search, reading magazines borrowed from my local library, listening to music via Bluetooth speaker, etc. fun to have it.
Thanks Steph

I am going wait for a sale, are any Chromebook any good

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online