Solved Advice on buying a refurbished Laptop

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.
Well, some cost close to 400 bucks! In my humble opinion, I’d rather spend more and get a laptop with solid state drive. Samsung, HP, Asus are all good brands. Also remember, chromebooks need constant internet connection. You can still use some apps without it. What I like about them is: they are light. You flip the lid and it is on right away. Solid battery life. You can still download apps from Google store.
as far as I know, you can use only chrome browser. Make sure you find out how long you can update before Google doesn’t allow it.
if you can wait for Black Friday, you should be able to get a good one under $200. The cost of them is slowly creeping up though just like any device.

dano_61

Thanks Stephank
Seems a lot of laptop manufacturers use Chrome browsers

Wow! I was mistaken! A little internet search. You can use alternate browsers with chromebook. Google store offers them. I believe Google required manufacturers to use Chrome browser when they were first introduced. They became quite popular due to low cost. Users dictate what they want. Many prefer other browsers for different reasons. Good luck.

dano_61

Oh that's great news !!!!
I am going search the Best Buys Staples etc for sales what do you think of Acer

plodr

Liz
Stephank, I tried FF on my Chromebook and the speed was horrible and it crashed. I ended up removing it and using Chrome on the Chromebook. Some time I will try a different browser and see if that works as well as chrome. (Note: I do not use chrome as a browser on any Windows computer.)

I own 2 android tablets (8" and 10.1") and a chromebook.

I haven't played a video on the chromebook. I'll do that in the next week so I can report on the sound.

Pros: the tablets have much better sound than my Windows laptop. If I want to watch a movie on the laptop, I either wear earplugs or use a bluetooth speaker. As a result, I tend to stream a lot on the 10.1" tablet. (I had Acorn, Hoopla, YouTube, Tubi, and dailymotion.)

Pros: the chromebook if you plan to do a lot of typing when you surf. I pair a bluetooth keyboard with a tablet if I plan to type a lot.

My chromebook is an Acer CB311. I'm happy with it. BestBuy's and Staple's prices are high.
As I said, Walmart had my chromebook on sale for $129.99 plus tax with free shipping delivered to the door.

Thanks Liz. You are always there for more info. Acer? No idea. Never owned one. it seems ok to me. I believe it is mostly the model not the brand name. I had crappy HP laptops and wonderful ones. Every brand and model have great and awful reviews. But, reliability matters. Certain brands are always at the top. My suggestion ( I believe you already know) is check retail stores’ web sites, pick what you like and go see them at the stores. They won’t have everything they offer online. Write down what you want as far as features. Check Newegg on line. They offer sweet deals. Also Amazon’s warehouse at their site. Some buyers return items and Amazon offers good choices.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
My advice for buying refurbished electronics is simple... DON'T!

A lot of the time the reason they needed to be refurbished was because they had an obscure problem that very likely didn't get fixed when they were refurbished. That leaves you with the same issue that the original owner had!

plodr

Liz
I've purchased refurbished desktop computers BUT I relied on a local MS certified refurbisher. If I had a problem (I did not with any item I purchased from them) , I was able to call or take the computer to them to be fixed. This refurbisher cleaned up business computers off lease and installed the OS cleanly. They'd supply you with a new keyboard and mouse. One of my friends bought something from them and I think he had sound problems. Whatever it was, they fixed it.

I would not buy anything refurbished off the internet. It is too complicated to get fixed or return.

If you go along to local stores, you might be able to pick up an open box item cheaper. Ask what the warranty is. If it is short, forget it. Ask why the item was returned. Perhaps they won't tell you but it is worth asking.
I know someone returned a Windows 10 computer because he did not like Windows 10. There was nothing wrong with the computer but it could not be sold as new.

plodr

Liz
I finally had some time and put a micro sd card in the Chromebook with movies on it so I could test the sound. The speakers are on the bottom of the Acer chromebook. I have to say, the sound is much better on this chromebook than it is on my Acer netbook. I did not feel the need to attach a bluetooth speaker to it to hear the movie.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online