1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Advice on CPU strength

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by leachim, Jan 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. leachim

leachim Thread Starter

Query about video editing

I use Pinnacle Studio 14 for video editing on a i5 intel 650 3.20Ghz machine with on board graphics and 8Gb RAM

It takes ages to process HD video when moved into the Timeline - an hour of video probably takes 2 hours to process

Thinking about upgrading to a i7 3770 processor Gaming Machine which is in my price bracket - how much faster would this be, or am I barking up the wrong tree (english cliche)

2. saikee

saikee

Apart from the CPU speed you also need to consider the speed of read/write speed of the source and target files. This can lead to SSD instead of electromechanical hard disks. Also Raid0, of using two disk in stripe mode, can nearly half the the time of the data transfer.

3. leachim

leachim Thread Starter

4. foxidrive

foxidrive Banned

A faster CPU will make a difference - though maybe not as much as you expect.

Hard drive speed is not a factor for video transcoding and an SSD won't change the transcoding speed in any realistic way.
    (I'm not aware of your software so the timeline process could affect this if it copies your large files)

See if your editing program is multiple CPU core aware, and if it is not then you can change to a program that uses all your CPU cores.

As a comparison, I have an Intel I7-2600 CPU and when I transcode HD to SD then I get about 2 hours for a 1.5 hour video, encoding to H264. (32 bit windows).

You will find that CPU is the major factor (if GPU is not involved in the editing program) so upgrading the CPU in your current PC is a good way to go...

5. leachim

leachim Thread Starter

6. Amd_Man

Amd_Man

As answered in another forum. No Cpu upgrade will give you 3 times the speed. If you are transcoding large video files then more memory would be the answer while using your current cpu. That would be the cheapest solutiion. The only other solution would be a i7 cpu but the top of the line i7's are ridiculously priced.

7. foxidrive

foxidrive Banned

I concur. A 3770 won't give you 3 times the speed, but it will give you a fair improvement in frames per second encoding.

8. leachim

leachim Thread Starter

Just wondering if Pinnacle Studio utilizes 4 cores

Here is a snapshot of it while encoding a new scene

Cores 1 and 3 seem to be Parked some of the time....

Attached Files:

9. foxidrive

foxidrive Banned

I can tell you that the encoding overheads work multiple cores at far less than 100%

EDITED:

10. foxidrive

foxidrive Banned

I checked for some info, this seems a reasonable post from this link: It's about disabling core parking and that Hyperthreading CPUs are ones that it affects more.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1240512/cpu-core-parking-good-or-bad

11. leachim

leachim Thread Starter

Would be interested in knowing how to use Powercfg to adjust it instead of downloading a program

12. Amd_Man

Amd_Man

You can try opening Task Manager, processes, find the process, right click and select set priority. Set it to high, but it will bog down anything else you're doing like surfing ect.......

13. leachim

leachim Thread Starter

Doesn't seem to make much difference and the word Parking flashes up still

14. Amd_Man

Amd_Man

Not much you you can do but live with it. I let that stuff run in the background while I do other stuff so I don't care how long it takes as long as it's done right.

15. foxidrive

foxidrive Banned

Try setting your power profile to high performance.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1086077

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice