1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

advice on defragmentation needed.

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by billoo, Oct 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. billoo

billoo Thread Starter

I have windows 98SE and a 30 GB seagate hard disk . I run diskeeper lite(free) for defragmenting the hard disk and I do it manually on daily basis. It only takes 4-5 minutes to complete. I am overall satisfied with the utility but still feel that it is not that good as normmal windows defragmenter was. I want to ask can I run windows normal defragmenter utility once or twice a month. Does the normal windows defragmenter utility remains active after we install this diskeeper lite . I could experiment but thought that I should ask first.

2. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

Windows defrag is still there and "could" be run.

BUT, if you do, IT will have a different view of the fragmentation level on your disk, and will defrag according to it's rules.

Then, when you run DKlite again, IT TOO, will have a different view, and use it's own rules for defragging.

I "think" there is one subtle difference between the 2 products, in that DKlite does not defrag the free space. So, all files are unfragmented, but there will be free space scattered throughout the drive. (again, I "think" this is so)

Bottom line, choose on defrag program and stick with it.

3. billoo

billoo Thread Starter

Thanks WhitPhil for the info and your opinions. I think that you are 100% right and that I should choose one. When I look at it from the feasibility angle I think that dklite is much better. It takes very little time and I do not have to go to safe mode. So I am sticking to dklite. Thanks for your reply.

4. Fredledingue

Fredledingue

hmm, if it takes only 4 or 5 min to defrag 30 Gb... I don't know.

5. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

The capacity of the drive is 30GBs. How much of that is used wasn't indicated.
    But, if you defrag on a daily basis, AND DKLite is ONLY doing files not free space, AND you aren't creating or modifying "tons" of files, 4-5 minutes sounds reasonable.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/170797

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice