1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

ADVICE on EXT HARD DRIVE

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by daisylubob, Apr 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. daisylubob

daisylubob Thread Starter

BRAND NEW HERE, I stink at computer technology and want to attempt to learn more :eek: And thought this may be a good place to start.
    I am purchasing a Lenovo G550 (WIndows 7) and need to transfer some data from my Dell Inspiron 6000. I would like to do this on an external hard drive, not a flash drive. Any suggestions on what brand to get that is compatible w/ WIndows 7? I don't need a ton of space, maybe 250GB max.
    Thanks for your patience.

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Any external USB drive will work on both, such as the WD My Book. After you have transferred your data, you can use the external for the best backup you can possibly have, a disk image. In the event your hard drive fails or your system will not boot, you can use the recovery CD to boot and restore your system completely, from the operating system to all your programs to all your personal files. You could be up and running on even a new drive in minutes.

Free Disk Imaging Tools:

EASEUS Todo Backup
    Runtime Shadow Copy
    SelfImage (Open-source)
    O&O DiskImage Express
    Macrium Reflect
    PING (Partimage Is Not Ghost) (Free alternative to Ghost with more features)
    Paragon Drive Backup Express
    Drive Image XML
    G4U - Ghost For Unix (Platform-independent, floppy or CD)
    DiscWizard (For Seagate or Maxtor drives - contains reduced version of Acronis)

Don't forget to make the boot CD whichever one you choose. If the machine will not boot the operating system, you can still boot from the CD and use its tools to restore the image you made on the external drive.

The next best piece of advice I could give you would be to be careful where you put it. Make sure that it can't possibly get knocked over or a cord entangled in a passerby. It doesn't take any more of a knock to destroy those drives than it does a hard drive (unless you get a solid-state drive, and those are now pretty expensive and not too large).

3. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Jay
    If you want to use Disc Imaging .. to backup the entire system .. in either computer (or Both)
    Make sure you format the external NTFS first.

As I recall, the My Book comes formatted Fat32 .. And that format doesn't like large "Image" Files.

And .. Welcome to the TSG Forum

4. daisylubob

5. win2kpro

win2kpro

Unless you are short on space I would stay away from externals with 2 1/2" drives since the laptop drives are not as "robust" as externals using 3 1/2" drives. Also, with a USB powered enclosure you may find you need a cable such as this to power the drive on some machines.

http://www.cablestogo.com/product.a...&cm_mmc_o=dyBBTkwCjCJmPCjC2z_kwl C -PCjCnovio

Whatever you do, don't get yourself into a "mess" like this;

http://forums.techguy.org/hardware/919496-western-digital-my-passport-320gb.html

6. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

What? Portable, USB powered external hard drives are great choices for laptops. Who wants to cart around a huge, externally powered drive? Modern computers can certainly handle modern portable drives. I've not heard of anyone with a reasonably new computer and external portable drive needing a special cable. That used to be the case "back in the day", but technology has improved.

7. win2kpro

win2kpro

You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but I disagree.

If you want temporary "portable" external media purchase a flash drive. Disc hard drives were never designed to be "portable" due to "rough" handling. This is the reason I see many more failures with drives in laptops than drives in desktops. In my opinion external hard drives are designed and built for "semi-portable" storage, i.e. to stay in place most of the time and moved occasionally, but not on a regular basis.

Because of the voltage limits of USB I still see a considerable amount of laptops (both new and old) and netbooks that will not run a USB powered external hard drive without the dual USB port power adapter.

8. daisylubob

Oh boy, this is getting complicated...
    The drive will not be transported anywhere. Its purposes are:
    1. transfer data (Ipod music, photos, Office, a verizon downloaded application) to the new computer
    2. have a backup for the data in case of crash.

Would a flashdrive be enough for that? or external Hard drive? Brand recommendations are welcomed. Sorry for the non-technical language, like I said, I am very ignorant of computer technology, but am willing to listen and learn.

9. AshleeD

AshleeD

I've been using laptop 2.5 external drives for years and never had one fail. So i'm also not sure what is not robust about them. Never needed to use a cable either, I doubt a new machine today wouldn't be able to run it, in fact often enclosures and ext drives don't even come with a power supply.

If it's not for every day use an external drive is much cheaper and you can get something with more capacity. USB drives are much more pleasant if you use it everyday but a 128gb drive which is the least you are going to want is a bit pricey.

The one you linked to Daisy is a good brand, a decent price and an adequate size. ;)

10. win2kpro

win2kpro

Only enclosures that use 2 1/2" laptop hard drives come without a power supply. All 3 1/2" drives use a power supply. You may not have needed a USB "Y" connector "yet", however I live near a university with 18,000 students and I sell quite a few USB "Y" connectors when all of a sudden a student will find out the external will not run off one USB port.

11. AshleeD

AshleeD

Then buying a 3.5 for an external drive is an even poorer choice. I have a Y connector and you're right never needed it with any computer or device. Even my cheap generic portable battery powered dvd player powers my drives.

12. win2kpro

win2kpro

You're loosing me here.

I don't quite understand what you're saying when you say; "Even my cheap generic portable battery powered dvd player powers my drives." How does a DVD player power your drives? :confused:

13. AshleeD

AshleeD

Some but not all portable dvd players come with a USB slot. Most i've seen don't so I see why that could be confusing. Actually I rarely have played dvds on mine and with many they break quickly that way. Usually it's more convenient to use a USB drive but if I haven't transfered the movies I can just use the HDD.

14. daisylubob

Perfect. Thanks Ashlee (y)

15. AshleeD

AshleeD

No worries.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/919796

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice