Advice on Graphics Card/CPU Fan/DDR2 Mem ;)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

llOriginll

Hey Guys,

While I know what I can buy I've often found that asking you guys what I SHOULD buy has led to me getting much better bang for my buck, so you know, here goes :D

I recently upgraded my Mobo to a Gigabyte UD3P and my processor to a X4 955 and am looking to soon upgrade my PSU to a Corsair 850W.

It was suggested I wait for DX11, but I'm going to Uni soon and if I don't spend this money now I might not have it when they do eventually (seemingly like never) release. So now I'm interested in buying myself a DX10 card xD

I've been predominately a nVidia man, but as this board does ATI Crossfire I was thinking it'd make sense to get a ATI card, only I have no idea what I'm doing in this area, I've never understood their numbering :p

So yeah, mainly what DX10 ATI card should I get? Or is their a better nVidia offering given I might never crossfire anyway?

Secondly I'm using the stock fan for the CPU now, but obviously this can be seriously overclocked with a decent fan; anyone recommend anything that would enable me to clock it up reasonably? CPU case recommendations are good too as that's the next step.

Obviously I could do with upgrading my memory at the moment, XP has a limit of 3.5GB and I have 4GB installed, but it's only 667 Mhz and this board does it up to 1333Mhz. Plus they're in 4 x 1GB config, so making it two sticks or one would be a good idea I think, as a final upgrade.

Thoughts? :)

Summary:

- DX10 Card (ATI) looking to spend about £150 ish?
- CPU Fan looking to spend about £35-50 ish?
- DDR2 RAM, looking for 4 Gig of approximately whatever speed RAM I can; bang for buck important.
- Cases! About £50 to £100?

Thanks!

Chris

It was suggested I wait for DX11, but I'm going to Uni soon and if I don't spend this money now I might not have it when they do eventually (seemingly like never) release. So now I'm interested in buying myself a DX10 card xD

I've been predominately a nVidia man, but as this board does ATI Crossfire I was thinking it'd make sense to get a ATI card, only I have no idea what I'm doing in this area, I've never understood their numbering :p
Here is a quote from engadget:
COMPUTEX 2009, Taipei - June 3, 2009 - At a press conference in Taipei, Taiwan today, AMD (NYSE: AMD) publicly demonstrated the world's first Microsoft DirectX® 11 graphics processor. The series of demonstrations shed new light on the significantly improved computing experience set to debut at the end of 2009
So yes you should wait if you can.....
So yeah, mainly what DX10 ATI card should I get? Or is their a better nVidia offering given I might never crossfire anyway?
A better nVidia offering would be GTX285 or GTX295 - both are the top dogs in gaming at present. However once you go the Crossfire route the ballances tip a bit. With regards to an ATI gpu card - you can get a very good performance out of HD 4890 series card but i would choose carefully so you can maximise the benefit of dual cards when fund permit - you can only get that kind of feedback from tried-and-tested multi gpu benchmark reviews on the web (or mag articles). But having said this, and after many discussions with other forum members, i would save your money and wait a few months - just buy a card to get you by and thats it!
Secondly I'm using the stock fan for the CPU now, but obviously this can be seriously overclocked with a decent fan; anyone recommend anything that would enable me to clock it up reasonably?
This cooler has been a favourite of many reviewer for some time now:
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HS-027-ZA&utm_source=froogle
CPU case recommendations are good too as that's the next step.
It shouldn't be one of your last steps - its should be one of your first! My sudgestion would be the plain looking but ever so versatile Cooler Master Centurion 590 (or the fancier 690)
Obviously I could do with upgrading my memory at the moment, XP has a limit of 3.5GB and I have 4GB installed, but it's only 667 Mhz and this board does it up to 1333Mhz. Plus they're in 4 x 1GB config, so making it two sticks or one would be a good idea I think, as a final upgrade.
You should give your memory requirements a serious think over as you might be swayed towards 64bit computing with the advent of WIn 7 - If you are into serious gaming then decent quotas of memory and at decent speed would be adventagious.

Hope this helps.

llOriginll

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/131551 - Does sound and look pretty nice!

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...source=froogle - Looks awesome, but concerned about installing though? Looks hella' big and I'm not too experienced with installing so it might just make me break down emotionally xD

And my graphics card... I'm running a 7900 GT at the moment and it's embarassingly slow, bottle necking my system now. So I do really want to just get a new card, and a DX10 @ £150 odd will make it seem like a dream.

And again, Win 7 - sure, but I'm more concerned with the here and now and while I understand that more RAM = better mine is quite slow at the moment :p Surely 64-bit would involve me replacing my CPU again anyway, surely?

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/131551 - Does sound and look pretty nice!

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...source=froogle - Looks awesome, but concerned about installing though? Looks hella' big and I'm not too experienced with installing so it might just make me break down emotionally xD
Have a look at the installation vid from the Zalman web site: http://www.zalman.co.kr/ENG/product/Product_Setup.asp?Idx=165
And again, Win 7 - sure, but I'm more concerned with the here and now and while I understand that more RAM = better mine is quite slow at the moment :p Surely 64-bit would involve me replacing my CPU again anyway, surely?
Please invest in getting Win7 on pre-order for only £50 from the likes of Pc World/Dixons - its a bargain. With regards to 64bit -all you need to do in your shoes is change your OS to a 64bit version (hopefully Win7).

Hope this helps.

llOriginll

That vid still makes it look complicated, but I suppose if I have a video I can't go wrong xD

Cool, that fan and case look good, and I'm very much assured now, I do like the look of Windows 7 so I'll definitely get it :)

Any suggestions on the graphics card front Ditchster or anyone else? That and my PSU are like top of my priority list (yes, I know the case should be but I'm more concerned with performance right now :p)

While the 9700 is a good cooler, and from a good company, it's still not anything near a top performer, even less top in the price per performance ratio.
Sunbeam Core Contact Freezer 120mm model, that's about the best bang you can get for your money. It's still a bit awkward looking, but you're not getting a windowed case...
Still if you want good looks too, Xigmatek Dark Knight S1283V. Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme and TRUE Black from the same company are even a bit better at performance. Scythe Mugen 2 is something people swear on, and at, because of its huge, huge, HUGE size, which IMO is not worth it with the very, very minimal, if any, difference it offers against Ultra 120 Extreme and others of the tier.

Graphics, 7900 GT should keep you alive for another few months before the new DX11 cards, but if you really really are dying to get that minor FPS boost before that, 4830 should do the job, at least 4850 will. (don't get the Asus ones with the brass/gold colored cooler, or ones with the single slot slim reference cooler). Wait for 5850 and such. GTX285 and GTX295 are in NO situation worth getting at the moment.
Ah, right, just re-read your OP. 4870 has the very, very best price per performance ratio. XFX ones have lifetime warranty quite often, but in the UK, it seems it's only 2 years for some reason, even for same models that get lifetime when bought in the states, from newegg for example.. 4890 isn't bad either, but it's not that much better as it is more expensive.

Corsair XMS2 series offer good bang per buck and are affordable, til last week their new 2x2 GB 800 kit was 34£ at ocers.co.uk, now it's 50... Shuffle around, you will probably find it cheaper otherwhere. Note that you shouldn't buy anything at 1066 or over... Or wait... Was it that with AM3 CPUs the 4 GB (2 sticks) limit wasn't applicable... I'll google around, or ask Compiler (I think it was him who I first heard this, or win2kpro maybe)

You mentioned being still worried about the PSU, 650TX handles 955 BE and 48x0 graphics very well, won't even be pushing to the limit and decreasing the efficiency yet.

Ah yes, the memory, read this. Don't do the gamble, DDR2 800 is very much sufficient. If you want to splash money around, sure, AM3 boards, DDR3 RAM, Paired along with SSD hard drives, it does make some difference. But don't bother if you don't bath in money.

llOriginll

OK, that makes sense.

I am tempted to go for the 4870; I might even be able to squeeze a second one in before I head off to Uni.

Out of those coolers, I'm liking the Sunbeam if I'm honest, the Coolmaster looks good and that 4870 here looks cheap enough for a good temporary upgrade =D

I'll look for that Memory at some point, right now I need to get the above really, but I'll remember that, DDR2 800 :)

In terms of my PSU, what do we think of this? I don't want to be excessive but my current PSU is rubbish :) While being capable of running 2 x 4870s isn't necessary, it'd be nice :p

Thanks for the help again!

In regards to the cooler - a far better option than a retail bundled one by far - and very cost effective - personally i like Zalman but to get complete clarity (always best) you should spend some time checking the independent reviews for coolers(aswell as most things) to assist with getting a clear picture.
With regards to your graphics card - i do not have any problems with your choice - however you should, again, spen some time checking on each cards performance when paired and not just the single card as you might find that spending less. or more, will be the best option for the next additon (if you go two card solution) - just go to Hexus web reviews for a good start point and then overclockers for a comparison.
In respect to the PSU - by all means stick with Corsair if your budget allows, however 650W is a dead ground between too much for a single card platform and not enough for a two card platform (pending on tyoe of card) so personally go for either a 500W single card or 750W for dual capabilities.

Dual card capability, heck no. When you do need or even want more performance than a single 4870, you WILL get a Radeon 5k or Geforce GT300 series if you're not just plain dumb or too, way too much tempted by the "coolness" factor of having too cards. Having "extreme" outdated performance is never an advisable thing. Let's think of this like having bought a Pentium 4 back in the day and later getting a dual socket motherboard and running two Pentium 4s instead of an Athlon II x2. Not. Worth. It.
5870 or even 5970/5890 whatever they plan to out will also run on the TX650, and power supplies do perform more efficiently (less money spent on electricity, less heat coming out of the PSU) when not put near the 80-100% load range.

llOriginll

Just to reply and show what I decided:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA-176-CM - Coolermaster cases seemed to be getting really good quality reviews, and this one has a crazy looking design and very good review and met my £100 limit so I thought why not?

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA-011-CS - Decided not to skimp on a quality PSU, hey what can I say :p

And going to buy:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HS-000-TQ&tool=3 - Purely because I can't find anything for less than seems to out-perform it in reviews xD

And decided that I will wait for the 5 series; whenever that is :-/

Veeery, very nice choices. HD5k series will be outed Spet 10th. Another good choice, waiting for them. Post back in this thread when they're out, they probably won't be at 100% reasonable prices right off the bat, but you never know.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online