1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

advice on graphics cards

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by joeheathuk, Aug 31, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. joeheathuk

joeheathuk Thread Starter

HI. WAS THINKING ABOUT UPGRADING MY PC AND NEED NEW GRAPHICS CARD. THERE ARE SO MANY AND I'M NOT SURE WHAT TO LOOK OUT FOR. I'M IN UK AND MY PC IS COMPAQ PRESARIO 5000 SERIES, AMD/DURON 700MHz WINDOWS 98SE. HAVE ALREADY ORDERED MORE RAM TO ADD TO CURRENT 64MB. I MAINLY NEED THE GRAPHICS CARD FOR GAMES. ANY ADV ON WHAT CARD OR TYPE OF CARD I WOULD NEED WOULD BE GREAT. THANKS.

2. usualsuspect

usualsuspect

Hi Joe,

Before you go spending money, find out what exactly what you have. It maybe that you don't have a AGP slot which will drastically tie you down if you wish to play games on the cheap. It also sounds like you are running SDRAM, which is getting expensive these days.
    What games are you wanting to play?
    Could you pop the side panel off and get us the manufacturer and model of the motherboard? That would be a major help to us.

3. zeddy

zeddy

As previously posted you will find your options limited for upgrades. It might be that you can upgrade the processor to an athon, but the whether you can stick an AGP card in there is debatable. It might be better to set a budget for a new PC, thinking about what games you want to run and what budget you can stretch to, any upgrades you make to your existing sytem might not be reuseable in a new PC........so may be a waste of £.

For a decent prebuilt PC look at mesh or carrera

4. joeheathuk

it is a Compaq 06E4h board. any sugestions. i've already got 256 of sdram ready to install. it is the correct type for my compaq. but no advice is really given on which graphics cards will suit on the internet. also been told that it has pci and agp expansion slots.

5. joeheathuk

Any suggestions?

6. joeheathuk

Finally Got Round To Opening The Tower. However As I'am A Novice I Am Unable To Tell What Is Occupying My Agp Slot. I'd Guess It Is The Original Video Card As The Monitor Cable Is Plugged In There. However Compaq State That Some Of The 5000 Presarios Have Their Card On The Actual Motherboard And Not In A Slot? IT DOESN'T GIVE A MANUFACTUER NAME ON THE CARD BUT UNDER HARDWARE DEVICES/DISPLAY ADAPTORS IT SAYS NVIDIA VANTA/VANTA? Any Suggestions And Does This Help My Enquiries? Anybody? THANKS

7. joeheathuk

anybody?

8. joeheathuk

9. daniel_b2380

daniel_b2380

..using just the info you provided, try these links for some further info:

COMPAQ PRESARIO 5000 SERIES

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Compaq 06E4h motherboard

http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/topic/9960

COMPAQ PRESARIO 5000 SERIES

http://www.hp.com/cgi-bin/cposuppor...s&qry=motherboard+specs&Submit.x=9&Submit.y=6

Compaq Presario 5000T desktop PC quick links
    http://www.hp.com/cgi-bin/cposuppor...,c_hp&spname=Compaq Presario 5000T desktop PC

COMPAQ PRESARIO 5000
    http://www.google.com/search?num=30&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&safe=off&q=COMPAQ+PRESARIO+5000&btnG=Search

06E4h motherboard
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...=06E4h+motherboard&btnG=Search within results

daniel_b23804

10. joeheathuk

thanks daniel.

11. daniel_b2380

daniel_b2380

..you're welcome,
    ..hope the info was what you were seeking,

12. fenderjaguar

fenderjaguar

13. zeddy

zeddy

Not sure if thats an AGP 1.0 slot, if it is its limited to 2xAGP 3v cards, so the newer cards wont work as they run on 1.5v, that would severely limit your upgrade choices. It looks like you can upgrade the processor as long as its one with a 100mhz bus speed.

It might be time to bite the bullet and get a new mobo.

14. WarC

WarC

I second zeddy's motion if you can afford it.

15. brite750

brite750

How many current games can you play with an old duron700, not many i would think. New pc (y)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/268692

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice