1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Advice on laptops, Refurbished generally okay?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by thuskeld, Dec 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thuskeld

thuskeld Thread Starter

I'm looking to buy a new laptop for the purposes of hires graphics production (PS, Illustrator, Painter etc.) and school. I'm looking at a few and I was hoping for feedback on the system specs for each. Some are refurbished and I'd like to know what experience, if any, anyone here has with Tiger Direct's refurbished laptops.

Here are the ones I'm looking at:
    Lenovo IdeaPad Y550 and Dell Studio 17
    My questions about these:
    • Is the Intel Core i7 really worth the extra money, or would a much cheaper Core 2 Duo serve my purposes just fine? I'm not really going to be playing games on this thing.
    • I've never heard of Lenovo, should I be wary of them?

MSI A6005 and Acer Aspire AS5732Z
    The main difference is that the first has dedicated graphics and the second doesn't.

Any advice?

2. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

Lenovo bought out the IBM line of PC's, they are pretty good.

No you don't need the i7, core 2 duo is plenty of processor.

Dell offers 3 kinds of refurbished, so be carefull what you choose

http://www.dell.com/content/topics/segtopic.aspx/buy_refurbished?c=us&cs=22&l=en&s=dfh&~lt=popup

Lenovo says this about its refurbished line

I am not paticularly fond of Acer or MSI, stick will Dell, Lenovo, Asus

3. thuskeld

thuskeld Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply, good to know the i7 isn't worth the extra scratch.

If I don't need the i7, I guess I'm still looking. I'd still like more feedback and I'll probably post a few more options.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/882023

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice