1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Advice on Linux laptop

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by sidbub, Oct 5, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. sidbub

sidbub Thread Starter

Laptop which I don't have(yet). I am totally sick of MS and Win 10 with all their interminable and never ending downloads and multi reboots and sometime quirky things happen and have to wait for a fix. Can anyone suggest a Linus laptop brand with the right amount of of mem and storage size? This will not be a work unit; just to use for research, financial, email, etc. Nothing very heavy. Also what about an AV/malware if needed using Linux. Perhaps looking for something under $500. Any comments would be appreciated. Thank you. B-T-Y, some years back I loaded Ubuntu on an old desktop to to play around with it and see what it was like.

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

If you are so really fed up with windows and you have a laptop with 10 on it, why not simply install Linux on it
    having made a full system backup - image
    Presuming that you can first save your personal data to a flash pen and then reinstall it on Linux

3. sidbub

sidbub Thread Starter

Yes, I suppose I could do that and of course will put me into a dual boot on every reboot which isn't such a big deal. However, I am not exactly sure on how to do that procedure as it's been quite a few years when I did that on an old desktop. In other words, I would need some tutoring on how to get that done.

4. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    You can run most versions of Linux 'live' on a Usb stick, you don't have to install it onto the internal HDD/SSD so no 'dual-boot' just setting the Usb stick as the boot device.

5. Johnny b

Johnny b

First Name:
    John
    You could go with a Live Linux that boots off a USB flash drive and avoid the typical problems associated with dual booting off the same drive.

edit, Guess I was a minute too slow :D

6. sidbub

sidbub Thread Starter

I will look into that. Thanks

7. Macboatmaster

Do you need the windows 10 for other computing matters
    If not the difficulty of dual booting 10 and Linux is hardly worthwhile
    It can be done but it rarely is simple and straight forward

If you are really fed up with 10 then you can either make the image to go back as you wish OR simple replace the drive keep the 10 drive and use Linux
    depending of course on the laptop - some are not simple to do that - others you simply remove a panel on the base of the laptop

I triple boot 7, 8.1 and 10
    and dual boot 7 and Ubuntu on another but both are desktops and my third is 10.

8. Macboatmaster

I agree with my colleagues but a Linux live running out of ram is not IMHO - other than a brief excursion
    Used as a everyday OS it is not, I think you will find - suitable.

9. Macboatmaster

DUAL BOOT
    https://www.tecmint.com/install-ubuntu-alongside-with-windows-dual-boot/

do not even think of trying it without a full system image backup on another drive
    At least not if you have any desire to go back to 10 OR have data you need not saved elsewhere.
    You do not need to concern yourself with licence keys for 10, if the laptop came with 10 installed its is registered on the Microsoft activation servers against its hardware hash and 10 will clean install at anytime and activate without you using any licence key as that is embedded in the firmware

10. sidbub

sidbub Thread Starter

Macboatmaster, thanks for that info as I will check that out and see if I want to go to it that way.

11. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    Have you considered an android tablet?
    I have a 10.1" unit which is close to the size of my 11" netbook (Win 7). I have attached a case which rotates, so I can use it in landscape or portrait mode. I pair it with a bluetooth keyboard.

The tablet cost me around $250. It is a Samsung and they are higher price than other units.
    The leather case cost me $5.
    The almost full sized keyboard cost me $5. These last tow items were purchased at a chain called Five Below.
    Samsung_lndscp.jpg
    Here's what is looks like. The keyboard is white so it is hard to see in the picture but easy for these "senior" eyes to see.

12. Macboatmaster

Cheers
    Let me know if you need further help on the dual boot or whichever way you decide to go

13. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    With 'live linux on a Usb stick' you can see if it has the drivers you need for things like wireless, and if you like the way it looks etc without putting anything onto the internal drive(s).

So it's a sort of 'try before you buy' and if you find a linux 'distro' you like you can install it, as a dual boot with Windows or on it's own.

14. Miqw7394

Miqw7394

First Name:
    Mike
    You could, of course, go the 'Puppy' Linux route. This lightweight OS was designed right from the outset, more than 15 years ago, to run, fully-installed, from a USB drive.

It loads into, and runs from RAM for the duration of the session. It saves any changes from that session back to the USB drive when you shut-down. All that's needed is to set your BIOS to boot from USB as the primary boot method, followed by the internal HDD as the secondary method. When you want to boot Puppy, plug the USB stick in. When you want to boot Windoze, remove the USB stick and Windoze will boot up....

No need for purchasing new hardware; all you need is a decent USB 3.0 USB stick. Because RAM is the fastest component of any computer, this is why Puppy runs like greased lightning.

You have to try it to believe just how fast it really is..!

Mike. ;)

15. sidbub

sidbub Thread Starter

Can you direct me to a tutorial on the steps to put Linux into my Win 10 laptop?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1233853

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice