Solved Advice on new build

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

rabidwolf14

Hey guys. I'm looking forward to building my next pc and I'm ready for this bitchin' build :). I was just looking for some advice or alternatives on the components I'm choosing. This build is going to be for 4k gaming, some video editing and regular use for school. The specs I have chosen so far are:

CASE: corsair graphite 760T full tower

CPU: Intel i7-5820k 6 core

GPU: 2 asus strix 980 ti in SLI

RAM: 2 x 8gb corsair vengeance pro 16 gb DDR3. I originally was going to go with DDR3 but I'm wondering if DDR4 is worth getting now.

PSU: I need help picking out a good Power supply.

MOBO: I am looking at a few like the asus x99 pro,
ASUS ROG RAMPAGE V EXTREME but I am not sure. Please help. This will also might change the Ram ddr3 or ddr4.

CPU Cooler: Corsair h100i gtx. Should I get the one with the 140mm or 120mm?

STORAGE: 128GB SSD, and 2 TB WD black HDD

Thank you

crjdriver

I have not seen any boards that support socket 2011v3 and use ddr3. There might be some however I have never seen any and newegg does not list any.
As long as you go with either asus or gigabyte for your board choice, you should be fine. One thing I like to do is once you decide on a board, go to the support page and check how many bios updates you find. A bios update to support new cpus is fine however if you see updates released every 2~3weeks to fix a problem, that is not a board you want to purchase.

As for a pw supply, if you are going with two gtx980s AND a 140W cpu, I would look at a very minimum of 850~900W. Good ie recommended brands; corsair [AX, HX, or RM models ONLY] seasonic, FSP [only units with the 5yr warranty] or antec HCG models only. Here is an example of what you should be looking at for a pw supply;
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139044
Note that is only an example. There are a lot of quality pw supplies that would do the job for you.

Other than that, your parts selection look good.

rabidwolf14

Thank you for your help crjdriver.

Okay so I picked out this board

Asus x99-A

PSU: EVGA supernova 1000W G2. Is th a good one?

Also I am now considering getting a pcie ssd. I heard good things about it and its benefits. Are the intel ssds the best? And if i do get it i wont get the 840 evo

rabidwolf14

Hey guys. So my past post i mentioned getting a pcie ssd but I'm not sure. I'm hearing good and bad things. Can anybody explain to me. Is it worth it? Pros and cons.

Also i never got a reply on the EVGA supernova 1000 G2, and asus x99-A

crjdriver

The supernova line from evga is fine; it is mfg by seasonic.
A M2 type drive is fine however you do pay a premium for the same amount of storage. Some M2 drives have much better read/write times over their sata counterparts however some are no faster AND you pay extra. You need to really check the specs of whatever drive you intend to purchase.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online