1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Advice on PC upgrade

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Avonbill, Jan 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Avonbill

Avonbill Thread Starter

I have a Compaq Evo D510 small form factor PC. I would like to increase it's RAM and replace its disk with a larger one. This is a 2.4GHz / 533MHz machine and was new in early 2003. It has a proprietary Compaq (HP) motherboard for which I was able to find very little info.

I have done some research into what is required and what it can take but in the end I won't really know unless I try out the new hardware.

Currently the PC has a single 256MB DDR266 PC2100 DIMM installed. I would like to add a 1GB module in the spare DIMM slot. The specs say the machine is capable of 2GB. I see that PC2100 memory is harder to get these days (here in New Zealand anyway). On reading about DDR RAM the experts indicate that faster RAM is backward compatible with the slower speed RAM. If that is the case I would be interested in a 1GB DDR400 PC3200 module (I realise it would run at the slower speed).

I would also like to replace the current 40GB IDE disk with as large a disk as possible. The Seagate Barracuda 400GB ATA100, 7200rpm disk would be ideal. I was unable to find any information on the Internet that indicated if there would be any problems installing a high capacity disk on this particular machine.

Does anyone have any experience with either the RAM or Disk upgrade I have described? Namely, running faster DDR RAM with slower, and support for a fairly large disk in a machine of the vintage described. Perhaps you could point me to documentation that I have not been able to find. Thanks.

2. Compiler

Compiler

Better results with 2x 512mb RAM modules. It should be friendly with 400mhz DDR and clock down to 266mhz.

Buy a Maxtor or Seagate retail drive (such as the one you selected) - it includes software for transfering your original drive data to the NEW one... its easy.

The only possible problem you may have is if the BIOS is limited to 132GB... which I doubt. Make sure you can take back the parts.

3. RootbeaR

RootbeaR

An external harddrive might be worth considering. No need to reinstall OS or software and files.

4. Compiler

Compiler

Software doesn't need to be reinstalled. Maxtor & Seagate include excellent software for mirroring old drives to new. Seagate maybe better for doing the "hidden" recovery partitions.

5. Avonbill

Avonbill Thread Starter

There is no data to transfer. It is currently a test machine. Just want to know if others have installed such a large disk in this sort of machine successfully.

6. telegramsam

telegramsam

What OS are you using? Win2K requires a registry edit to support larger disks, and previous versions, to my knowledge, don't support them at all.

7. Avonbill

Avonbill Thread Starter

XP and Vista. Probably also a version of Linux. At the moment my main concern is whether the BIOS will support a disk of this size. It will be partitioned for various uses.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/538490

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice