1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Advice on solving internet speed issues + VoIP connectivity

Discussion in 'Networking' started by TwoSmallMen, Jun 29, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TwoSmallMen

TwoSmallMen Thread Starter

Hello everyone,

New to the Tech Guy, apologies if I'm posting in the wrong forum.

Our company is running a VoIP phone system across all locations, and our agents have indicated that calls are either being dropped when on hold or transferred or our customers are unable to hear our agents due to audio distortion. Our PBX provider, as well as our own analysis, has indicated that this pertains to poor upload speeds/connectivity.

The location that is experiencing the issues is in an area that is essentially a black-hole for ISPs. We are currently with Telus, receiving the best package possible considering our area and distance from the CO. We are supposed to be receiving 15mbps down and 1mbps up, however, we end up getting anywhere from 8-14mbps down and 0.52 to 0.84 up. We are unable to upgrade to a higher speed, and Fiber Optic is 3-6 months out at their best guess, more likely 6-12 months out. The technicians they have been sending have been unable to alleviate the issue. I've been unsuccessful in finding an alternate provider since our location doesn't have the required infrastructure for Shaw, and most other providers charge significantly higher for lower speeds since they are renting/licensing the larger ISPs' infrastructure.

We are currently looking at a provider (WiBand) who may be able to install a tower relay that will transmit the internet via the relays from a main point that has Fiber Optic installed. The internet speeds proposed are 25mbps down and 5mbps up which aligns with what we would like, however, the cost is significant. We're feeling a little stuck as we need to have more reliable service, however, since we are not scaling up our sales department in that location we are hard-pressed to take on the switching costs.

Overall, I'm looking for any advice or recommendations on how we may secure our internet speeds to improve reliability. Should we continue working with Telus and see if they could install a dedicated line? My concern is that with the 2 VoIP phones in that office, even 0.52 should be enough. I don't want to have to get a separate internet for each phone and then the office internet on top of that as it would triple our monthly cost. It would still be cheaper than switching to WiBand, though it is not the ideal solution. WiBand had mentioned something pertaining to our firewall and that it could be affecting our phones' connectivity, though this crosses into areas outside of my familiarity with IT.

Any information that anyone may provide is greatly appreciated. I tried to be comprehensive regarding our situation, though please let me know if you will need additional details to provide a solution or advice.

2. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Unless you've really saturated the upload bandwidth you've been allocated, I find it hard to believe this is your issue. VoIP as you've surmised is not a protocol that is a bandwidth hog. VoIP however is very sensitive to line quality which is not the same as bandwidth or speed. Has anyone looked at the logs for the VoIP system to see what errors are occurring to cause the call issues?

3. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    I would think 1Mb upload for a lot of people would be ineffiecent, plus if your speed is being erractic and dropping lower than 80% of speed than advertise, then that's a problem too.

Are you using internet on that same connection?

4. TwoSmallMen

Our PBX provider said that, given the issues that the location in question is facing (audio distortion on our side, calls disconnecting when placed on hold or transferred to the location), they believe it to be a bandwidth issue. They noted that our other locations are not experiencing the same issue and have sufficient bandwidth, and they have been unable to detect any issues from the server. Unfortunately that is all the information we have been given.

5. TwoSmallMen

We are using internet on the same connection, however, our agents are only using our sales & CRM software via the web interface. I'm unsure how much of a drain that would place on upload. Would our next best alternative be acquiring a dedicated line for the phones? Would 0.52-0.84mbps upload be enough for two?

6. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

I would think that amount of bandwidth would be enough. VoIP isn't a big hog on bandwidth. As I said, it's more sensitive to line quality. But in your case because people are hitting the Internet on the same circuit and taking all of the bandwidth, this will cause issues as you're experiencing. Another alternative is to set QoS policies to prioritize the VoIP traffic and give what ever is left for Internet.

7. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Did you confirm with Telus if there are any issues that would affect the upstream bandwidth or SNR/Rx?

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!