Advice on Speeding Up Win2k system...plz

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

JBotAlan

Hey all,

I have a 1.1GHz Dell Inspiron 2600. Not really impressive or modern, but it works. Now, when I first installed Windows 2000, it ran great. As I installed stuff, naturally it got slower. I know that to speed it back up, I can play with the services, or the stuff in Startup, but I damaged my wireless drivers and had to reinstall them just because of tinkering with stuff in services and startup. I had a funky case where after I logged in, my desktop wouldn't load until I pressed CTRL-ALT-DEL...obviously I only know enough about this stuff to get myself into trouble. I put what I could remember back in the condition it was in, and I am running stable, but slowly. I would like to know, how do I speed up my system safely?

Oh, BTW I have everything acting normally now, no funky desktop display, etc. so I don't need help fixing it.

Thanks,
JBotAlan

You might have some problems in your registry.

Download Registry Mechanic from www.pctools.com and install/run it. Go to options and make sure all the scanning options are selected. How many things come up?

JBotAlan

Maybe I shouldn't ressurect an old post, but I forgot I had a thread open...

I had a crapload of problems in registry, but I could only clean some with Reg Mechanic because its crippled shareware...I used Crap Cleaner to find and fix the issues, and a re-scan of Reg Mechanic shows that I have fixed all the errors. YAY FREEWARE!!! Anyhow, it isn't ANY faster...at all...so...I really don't know what to do next.

Thanks for the help and patience,
JBotAlan

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online