1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Advice on Transferring Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by apoohneicie, Mar 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. apoohneicie

apoohneicie Thread Starter

:confused: I am upgrading to a Dell Dimension 8400 with a much faster processor. My problem is my old computer has 2 extra hard drives I have partitioned. Both machines are running XP. Will I be able to remove my extra hard drives from the old gateway and install them into the dell without reformatting them? I have a ton of stuff on them and it would be a serious pain to have to burn them onto disc.

2. SacsTC

SacsTC

System board connectors: Primary IDE drive: 40-pin connector on PCI local bus
    Serial ATA: four 7-pin connectors: Floppy drive: 34-pin connector

Drives
    Externally accessible: two 3.5-inch drive bays, and two 5.25-inch drive bays
    Internally accessible: two bays for 1-inch high hard drives

What is left open depends upon what you ordered with the machine
    There are also 3 pci slots so you could always add an additional IDE controller if necessary.

3. BTS '76

BTS '76

sometimes moving hard drives can be finicky. best bet is to network both machines together through a USB connection or a crossover cable through the network card(s) and transfer any files you need that way.

4. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

BTS '76's suggestion will work.

An alternative is to remove the drives from the old system, open the new system, connect the old drive into the new system one at a time and copy all the data you want.

Then there is the possibility of simply burning all your important data from the old system to CDs.

If you want to install the old drives to the new system permanently, that is a different thing entirely. First off, you can have only four IDE devices in a system built primarily for IDE, unless you add an add-in IDE controller. Then, depending on the controller, you can have either two or four more.

You will have to set jumpers to master/slave, whichever is appropriate.

I guess we need to know which it is you want to do.

5. Spandexer

Spandexer

Another option:

Take both harddrives from your old system and put them in enclosures in effect making them external harddrives. You can get the enclosures at any CompUSA or Fry's. Then you'll be able to access the data anytime you want via USB 2.0.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/450951

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice