1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Advice on upgrades for gaming

Discussion in 'Games' started by SpyguyinTX, Oct 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SpyguyinTX

SpyguyinTX Thread Starter

I have an Athlon 2600+ system with a gig of ram and a GeForce 5600 Ultra 128 meg card. I've been debating whether to try and patch my current system up with a better graphics card, say an AGP card with a 256 bit memory bus, 12 or 16 pipelines and DDR3, or hold out for piece by piecing an upgrade to whole system. I've found some AGP cards that fit the bill on newegg for 130-180ish, but I'm wondering am I going to see enough performance gain to justify the cost. I've done some pricing of system components on newegg and I could throw myself together a nice little system upgrade for $450ish, the problem being that if I do it for my system, I'll have to do it for my wife's system too and that'll wind up costing close to 1000 bones which is more than I wanna spend right now. And if I spread the cost out and piece by piece it, I'll have to do hers first and I won't see my upgrade until after the end of the year. :p Plus there's the whole issue of Vista looming large and if I just patch my current system with a new video card, give em a little time to let the public beta test Vista some, I'll have gotten another year or so of acceptable use instead of buying a system upgrade now only to find out I need to upgrade again when I decide to switch to Vista.

I mainly play Everquest 1 which has really started to bog down my computer with the newer expansions and I'd LIKE to be able to run two windows of it (which I can do currently in the old world zones if I turn the detail WAY down), and I also bought Oblivion and it was pretty much a completely unplayable slideshow on my current setup.

Anyone got any views on whether a 130-180 dollar AGP upgrade will help me out enough to justify the cost or is it too much like trying to polish a turd at this point?

2. courtlandhui

courtlandhui

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!