1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Advice on which AMD CPU Architecture

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by moehunter, May 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. moehunter

moehunter Thread Starter

I am searching for a AMD. CPU Under C $200.00 for a new system,
    I had planed on using the Dual-Core 6400 but In searching out CPU’s I found the QUAD Core PHENOM 9500 both are under CAN Two hundred, with the Quad core twenty five dollars more.

Please your opinion & why would be great,
    Thanks, Moe

AMD Athlon 64 X2 6400 + / 3.2 GHz processor Socket AM2 - L2 2 MB ( 2 x 1 MB )
    AMD PHENOM 9500 QUAD CORE 2.2GHZ 4MB CACHE AM2+ 95W--HD9500WCGDBOX

2. dman4862

dman4862

i would probably go with the phenom chip. Ive read many reports that the 6400+ runs pretty hot at full loads.

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    I would say it depends on what you intend to use the computer for. The X2 is clocked significantly faster then the Phenom processor and depending on what applications or tasks you are going to be performing each CPU has its own strong points. For tasks like 3D/Video rendering the Quad core is the way to go, for gaming the dual core is the way to go but thats not always the case depending on what application is being looked at.

You can check out benchmarks such as these to see how the processors do at different things: http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/...,1282,1315,1314,1276,1313,1312,1310,1311,1309

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    It really isn't that simple. If they were the same clock speed then it would be simple, but they are not. If you check out the link to Tom's Hardware you'll see that the 3.2Ghz X2 6400+ does outperform the 2.3Ghz Phenom 9500 processor in certain games and applications.

5. JSanguancheu

JSanguancheu

I would probably go with the Phenom CPU just because as time goes on more and more applications and games will be developed to make proper use of the multi-cores.

6. moehunter

moehunter Thread Starter

Thanks,
    I'm Not a Gamer but my use is for Photo/Video editing with Adobe PS, I've been Researching CPUs and WOW there are quite a few.
    My four and only builds used AMD CPU’s but in doing this research and still staying within my C $200.00 CPU budget, I’ve changed my mind & have swung over to Intel & I’m now looking at the Intel 3.0GHZ Dual Core E8400 VS. The 2.4 GHz Core 2 Quad Q6600
    I am leaning towards the E8400,
    Thanks, for your input,
    Moe

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    I'd go with the Q6600. Many of the video and photo editing applications benefit from more cores.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/713574

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice