1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

advice on which router

Discussion in 'Networking' started by margs, Aug 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. margs

margs Thread Starter

We have a Compaq Prasario notebook R4225CA and want a wireless router. I have found one at Future Shop: http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pr...angid=EN&sku_id=0665000FS10025695&catid=19994
    and want to know if it has any known problems. Or perhaps someone can suggest another router. That price range looks good to me.
    It will be used just within our home. No great distance from the router.
    Thank you for any help.
    Margs

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I find it strange that the ad doesn't seem to mention the model number.

But it should be OK as long as you don't mind paying that much. Some people think that Linksys is worth a premium and others don't.

I'm used to looking for sales and rebates and buying (Netgear, D-Link, ZyZEL, Belkin) for $15 to $25 U.S.

3. margs

margs Thread Starter

Good eyes TerryNet. I had been looking for a WRT54G3 and went to look at Future Shop. I just assumed that was it.
    My husband is eager to get started and being not savvy on these things I thought we shouldn't go too low in price after reading that some people had difficulty receiving signals within their own house. My thinking was the more spent the better the signal. Dual antennas was also suggested by one sales person. I will look into other brands and try to come up with a good product.
    I use a wired D-Link myself but he needs the wireless version.
    I understand that I can put his wireless into my wired one and that would give him double router protection. Also he would need to put his computer ID into it for connection only from his pc.
    I'll let you know what I end up with.
    Any suggestions for placement set up from my two computer room to him using his laptop in the next room no longer than 40 feet away?

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    He will probably get a fine signal unless the wall is concrete or metal or something like that, or unless there is an obstruction (refrigerator, CD collection, metal file cabinet, etc.) in the path.

"Also he would need to put his computer ID into it for connection only from his pc."

That sounds like MAC Address filtering, and it is a bad idea. It makes your network more difficult to use, and doesn't keep the bad guys out. True wireless security is encryption. Best is the new WPA2, but WPA-PSK is a close second. Even WEP will keep almost everybody out.

5. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

if you have walmarts in canada or you're close to the us get it from them, much easier to return if you have a problem.

6. margs

margs Thread Starter

TerryNet I felt under the gun to please the big guy so I hurried off to shop. I checked out CostCo and then Staples.
    Sorry Bearbone 2 I didn't even think of our WalMart. I have a 30 day satisfaction guarentee with Staples.
    I ended up with a D-Link WBR-1310. It was $39.95 and with tax (which is how one should think of how much it cost) it was $45.15. http://www.staples.ca/ENG/Catalog/cat_sku.asp?webid=652918&AffixedCode=WW
    That was with an instant rebate of $20.
    Thank you for reminding me of the stereo system on the wall between rooms. Yes there are lots of CDs.
    Wish me luck with the install. I'm sure it will be fine but one never quite knows until it is done.
    Now where is that OK button???

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/491084

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice