1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Advice overclocking my CPU Q6600

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by edjon2000, Jul 6, 2017.

Advertisement
  1. edjon2000

edjon2000 Jon Thread Starter

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 11
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 4094 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GT 730, -2048 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 489 GB (370 GB Free); D: 931 GB (381 GB Free); E: 801 GB (486 GB Free); F: 111 GB (76 GB Free); G: 465 GB (291 GB Free); H: 931 GB (783 GB Free); I: 465 GB (464 GB Free);
    Motherboard: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd., G41MT-D3
    Antivirus: Avast Antivirus, Enabled and Updated

Hi again,

Having read the sticky about overclocking, I have a question

Given the above system specs, would it be worthwhile over-clocking my CPU?

I already have a Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED fitted for cooling and did try a moderate over-clock using my system bios settings which pushed it up to around 3 GB, it did seem stable enough for the few hours I ran it I also ran Prime95 for about an hour and the temps peaked at 58 °C, I also noticed a moderate increase in FPS whilst playing some of my games.

I just overclocked it by changing my FSB from 266 to 333, I didn't touch any voltage settings or multipliers.

I am concerned about that fact that it shortens the life of the CPU, I wouldn't want to burn it out

What would be your advice about this

2. Sponsor

3. replay

replay

4. flavallee

flavallee Frank Trusted Advisor

Jon:

Instead of overclocking that processor and risking instability or damage, why don't you max out your computer with 8 GB of RAM instead of running it with only 4 GB?

--------------------------------------------------------------

5. edjon2000

Thank you for the link replay, it looks like they do a lot of voltage tweaking and memory tweaking which to me appears to create more points of failure, so, for example if all you tweak is say the FSB and then run some tests and it seems stable and the temps are under control that should be left as is because if you say, up the voltage that introduces a second point of failure eg over voltage damage to the CPU and then whats with all the ram clock tweaking, that makes no sense to me, what are your thoughts

6. edjon2000

Thanks for the reply Frank, I know, I have also been thinking about that, its all a matter of reducing bottlenecks, the first one was the old CPU which was an intel core 2 duo e3400 @2.6GHz, I sorted that out by changing it for a Q6600 G0 CPU, which introduced the overheating issue mentioned in my other recent post as the stock cooler wasn't up to the task, I replaced that with a Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED, the next issue could be the RAM which is DDR3 now running at 533.3MHz(stock with Q6600 CPU fitted) with clocks 7-7-7-20, I only have two ram slots so it would be a case of replacing those with two 4GB sticks if they are still available, oh, that's a point according to Speccy I have 4 total memory slots, what's that about. and then take another look at the system what do you think

7. flavallee

I'm aware that Gigabyte motherboard has 2 DIMM slots and supports a maximum of 8 GB(4 GB X 2) of DDR3 RAM.
    I don't know why Speccy is showing it as having 4.
    Are you using the most current version (1.31.732) of Speccy?
    You appear to be using DDR3-1066 modules.
    The 533.3 MHz speed that you see in Speccy is displayed correctly.
    You need to multiply that number by 2. 533 X 2 = 1066.
    If you were using DDR3-1333 or DDR3-1600 modules, it would appear as 667 MHz or 800 MHz.
    I'm not aware of there being an "Intel Core 2 Duo E3400 2.60 GHz" processor. Did you make a typo?
    Personally, I would've gone with an Intel Core 2 Duo E8600 3.33 GHz model instead of the Q6600.

By the way, I'm not an overclocker, so my input here is limited.

---------------------------------------------------------------

8. edjon2000

Hi again Frank

Ahh! I just downloaded the latest version and it still thinks I have 4 memory slots

Yes, I am, I have just talked to my local computer store and they have DDR3 4GB RAM sticks available for £29.50 (around $37.98 ) each so, as I am not working at the moment it will have to wait a week or so, I have been told that the DDR3 1600 modules are backwards compatible and the Gigabyte Website kind of backs that up, is this correct?

I bought this as a motherboard bundle to save costs at the time (2010) after my previous computer literally burnt itself out, I had a website to complete to a deadline so I went for the quickest, cheapest option the supplied CPU was an E3400 Celeron LGA 775, I have attached a scan of the original CPU for you to see, the reason I went for the Q6600 was that I was buying a 525 GB Crucial SSD and external drive enclosure from my local store and we were talking about potential CPU upgrades for my Motherboard, they had a Q6600 available and gave it to me for free.

Attached Files:

9. flavallee

Clipboard.jpg

Switching from the Intel Celeron E3400 to the Intel Core 2 Quad E6600 provides your computer with a nice increase in processor performance, so that was a good move. (y)

Yes, the DDR3-1600 MHz modules will work in your Gigabyte GA-G41MT-D3 motherboard.
    They should run at either a DDR3-1066 MHz or DDR3-1333 MHz speed.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

10. edjon2000

That's good to know Frank, thank you, I'll mark this as solved and after the increase in RAM we'll see where we are, If the extra RAM solves the problem that would be great, I would prefer not to overclock anything if I can avoid it :)

11. flavallee

You're welcome. (y)

12. edjon2000

Hmm, actually, on second thoughts, as I did in my previous post I will leave this unsolved until I actually get the RAM, it should be within a week or so, if that's ok

Last edited: Jul 7, 2017
  13. flavallee

No problem.
    I'll keep monitoring this thread until you reply back.

--------------------------------------------------------------

14. edjon2000

Thank you Frank :)

15. edjon2000

Ok just to update you, I did buy the 1600 RAM and it was not compatible with my particular motherboard(rapid beeps from the system speaker), so I then went back up to the computer store for some 1333 RAM unfortunately the RAM I was given turned out to be also 2 x 2GB sticks **sigh**, I called them back and will be going up tomorrow to hopefully get 2 x 4GB sticks, the computer store was very apologetic(and embarrassed:) ), I will report back with the results

16. flavallee

The stickers on those DDR3-1333 modules and the clear plastic case they come in should say what capacity and speed they are.
    I'm surprised the computer store didn't check them and wound up giving you the incorrect modules.

17. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1192594