1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Advice re ATI -v- Nvidia PCI-E cards

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by riffraff9, Feb 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. riffraff9

riffraff9 Thread Starter

Hi.....

Can anyone assist re advice or their experiences with entry level PCI graphic cards (and I do mean 'entry' level - up to £70) Whilst I am reasonably up to speed with the specs and views regarding AGP cards, PCI is a bit of a mystery.

The card will be going into a new build for a friend of mine and it is being done on a very tight budget. There are no plans for game playing on it but by using a s939 Athlon 64 and PCI enabled mobo there will (hopefully) be an upgrade road

Thanks

2. Arcadion

Arcadion

PCI and PCI Express (PCIe) are very different things. PCIe is a new standard used for some high-end videocards (e.g. Radeon X800, GeForce 6600) whereas PCI is a much older standard, you would only get a PCI videocard if your motherboard is a cheaper model that doesn't have an AGP slot. PCIe is better than AGP, AGP is better than PCI.

3. riffraff9

riffraff9 Thread Starter

Sorry - I am talking about PCI Express. Any thoughts of regarding ATI -v- Ndivia?

4. obvious

obvious

id go nvidia, much better driver support, and if you are getting an sli board (not likely as you are on a budget) then you can get 2 gfx cards to work as one.

lets just say im an nvidia fanboy :p
    and btw, my first gpu was an S3trio 4mb pci part what about you lot?

5. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

And I like ATI. Either way you go would be fine. Both have their ups and downs. If you go Nvidia keep away from anything made by XFX. They have no support and their cards are crap.:mad:

6. cheese

cheese

7. obvious

obvious

yeah, they both got ups and downs, like nvidia are the rulers of doom3, but wtf is it with u and XFX??? i had no trouble with them when i got some gfx cards from 'em for some friends of mine. 3 cards, 2 died on the spot, sent em back, replaced AND full refund. nicely done i think.

8. cheese

cheese

Maybe you were lucky. Everywhere i look and hear the name XFX (which is one of the most known makers to me because ive read alot) its most of the time a complaint.

While Nvidia takes doom3, ATI takes HL2 which is much better :D

9. obvious

obvious

personally, i havent noticed the difference. i saw one test where a 6800gt pci-e part beat off the X850-XTPE in half life 2 by about 10fps (on same pc exactly)

mabye just a weird anomaly, but cant ignore it either.

10. Arcadion

Arcadion

My first GPU? That would be the MOS 8362R8 "Denise" graphics chip on the original Amiga 500, which I got in 1990. My first PC graphics card was a horrible 0.5MB Trident 9000 ISA thing, which I gratefully replaced with a super-fast 1MB Cirrus Logic GD5426 VLB card. My first 3D card would be a 2MB Matrox Mystique PCI card, although it didn't support any OpenGL acceleration, so if you mean my first proper 3D card, that would be a 6MB Canopus Pure3D PCI Voodoo1. My current gaming box has a 64MB GeForce4 MX420 and twin 12MB Voodoo2s in SLI. I'll upgrade when I find a new game that I really want to play that won't run on this system.

11. obvious

obvious

damn, your old :)

12. Arcadion

Arcadion

I'm 25... I went to the local liquorstore the other day and got asked for ID, lady there reckoned I looked closer to 23, which I took as a compliment :p (they have to ID anyone who looks under 25, even though the legal age to buy alcohol is 18).

13. obvious

obvious

yeah i know what you mean, i got stopped from whatching a 12 cert film even though im 15! lol,funny.

14. obvious

obvious

Argh! Hijacked Thread!!!!!!

15. riffraff9

riffraff9 Thread Starter

If we looked at the X300 from ATI and the 6200 or 5300from Nvidia would I be missing a complete range or this the choices available?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/326028

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice