1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

advice re unplugging external hard drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mcgillra, Nov 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mcgillra

mcgillra Thread Starter

I use Win XP with SP3. I bought a Western Digital external drive to store photos on.

Yesterday when I unplugged the USB cable, the computer rebooted of it's own accord, and now that USB port doesn't work (the power cable was plugged in). I'm pretty sure i have done this before without issues. I don't recall having any instructions about which plug to disconnect, or connect first, when using the drive.

Any advice much appreciated. The adjacent USB is working still.

Thanks.

2. raybro

raybro

Sounds very much like the USB port was damaged in some way when you unplugged the connector.

Have you inspected the USB port closely?

Does the external HDD still function properly in another USB port?

Did you go through the safely remove hardware sequence before disconnecting the USB port?

Did you shut off the power on the external HDD before disconnecting the USB port?

3. mcgillra

mcgillra Thread Starter

I haven't taken the case off, but can't see anything externally.

Yes the drive functions perfectly on another USB port.

No - I have read that as long as the device isn't being used, that it's ok to disconnect or remove it, and that's what I've been doing for some time now.

No the power was connected.

Thanks for your response.

4. raybro

raybro

You answered one of my questions. What about the others?

5. mcgillra

mcgillra Thread Starter

I've addressed each question with what I did or didn't do, and in some instances provided reasons for my actions ...

6. raybro

raybro

That's really weird... When I last looked at your response, all that was there was the last lines.
    Thus my last post

More to the point. If the drive still functions normally on another port, it almost certainly a result of damage of some sort to the USB port on the computer.

Personally, I make a consistent practice of using the safely remove hardware sequence and I never unplug any device while it is powered up. I do unplug USB ports from the computer when it is operation, but I always shut down what ever peripheral I intend to unplug before I do so.

7. jiml8

jiml8 Guest

USB ports should be safe to unplug when the system is operating. If you didn't dismount the drive first (choose the "safely remove" option) then this should have at the most corrupted data on the external drive.

However, maybe somehow you got a corrupted USB driver instead. If there was some kind of ground problem with either the drive or your computer then maybe there is some chance that the USB port was damaged, but that would be a very strange thing.

I'm having a hard time believing that you have a hardware problem as a result of unplugging the drive. I'd be trying other things first. Does any other device work in that USB port? What does the device manager have to say?

8. mcgillra

mcgillra Thread Starter

Okay - this is very weird.

External drive works fine on another USB port but not on the problematic one.

On the problematic port:
    - some USB flash drives with photos are recognised, and some not (I haven't checked them all)
    - printer works
    - scanner works

Device Manager has no alerts or messages by any of the USB controllers.

Maybe the connectors in some devices?? I don't know.

9. raybro

raybro

Perhaps the cable? We are down to guesswork at this point.

10. jiml8

jiml8 Guest

Because some devices work in that USB port, probably the software is OK.

Best guess is there is a bad/bent connector inside the USB port. You MIGHT make it work if you shine a light into the connector so you can see the pins, and find one bent a bit out of position, and manage to move it with a pick.

I'm actually experiencing the same problem right now, and I KNOW what it is. I'm trying to work on a box that is at a client's facility about 35 miles from here, and I can't talk to the USB stick that I KNOW is plugged into that box. But I also know that the USB port in that box is a bit flaky. So I'm just sitting here cursing, since I'm going to have to go there to jack around with that *#$#$)&* port.

11. mcgillra

mcgillra Thread Starter

I had a look but nothing obvious, the pins look the same as the adjacent port. I've simply swapped the printer to the "dodgy" port, so the good one is free for other things.

Thanks for your responses.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1025356

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice