1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Advice welcomed

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by howard.a.s, Oct 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. howard.a.s

howard.a.s Thread Starter

Hi ther.

A few days ago I posted a question about this, but received no answers. So I have decided to ask again.

Can you tell me if it's possible to use two computers connected to the same internet connection at the same time. One to stream data out, the other to be used for up/downloading, emails, and other general tasks.

In a nutshell, I am looking to create a streaming radio station from my interent connection, whilst still retaining the ability to use the same connection for other daily internet related duties at the same time.

Whilst I beleive it's possible to do both with the same PC, and this is something I could try, I am not certain whether my P.C would be powerful enough to support both the outgoing data stream and all other general tasks at the same time. This is why I thought of using two P.Cs at once. However, with my present set-up, I have two seperate P.Cs, both with their own Thomson Speedtouch modem. If I attempt to log-on using both P.Cs at the same time, neither will make a connection. So, presumably I require a router?
    Not sure if this would then allow me to do what I am trying to achieve.

Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

My internet connection is 2.2meg Broadband.

My main P.C is a Pentium 4 540 @ 3.2gb - 512mb RAM
    My back-up P.C is a Athlon 2800 - 1gb RAM

2. jmwills

jmwills

A router is what you need.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/644150

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice