1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

advice - what to get in a new computer?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by debodun, Jan 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. debodun

debodun Thread Starter

My almost 6 year old computer suffered a major hard drive failure (I'm posting this on another computer). It just fails to boot even when I tried with the master re-boot disk. I had a technician look at it and his only advice was to get a new system. I looked at Dell, Gateway, Best Buy and Circuit City sites to see what was available. It is so much more confusing than it was 6 years ago - there are so may more choices. I need some advice as to what to get on a new system - such as what type of processor, disk capacity, operating system, etc. Should I get one from Dell or Gateway or go to an electronic store and get one off the shelf? What questions should I ask a sales representative? Almost all deals don't include monitors anymore. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

2. jflan

jflan

Lots of folks here build their own computers...a little-known secret is that it's actually quite easy.

If you're not ready for that, post your needs (what do you want this new computer to do) and your budget.

Folks will come back with a list of components, jot down the items that "get the most votes" and then apply these standards when you shop the manufactured computers.

You will be a highly educated buyer.

For practice, find a hard drive on sale (80GB $29.99US, for instance) and see if you can fix your old computer. It's a great confidence builder and you'll have a spare computer.

Regards,
    JF

3. D0C_Hol1d@y

[email protected]

My advice if you do not feel you can build one is to go to a mom and pop computer store and ask them to build one for you. Tell them what you want to use the computer for and what's the most important thing you'll use the computer for an example, i play Americas Army online video game, or I play World of Warcraft video game. I listen to music, I want to keep all of my CDs on my computer and use it as my stereo. I would like to burn DVDs, stuff like that, then give them your budget. I priced computers for like a year and anything I wanted cost $3000 just for the tower. I did some reading and built my system and got a flat screen monitor all for around $1,300 plus i get the pride of saying I built that. Of course and this goes without saying, you will get stressed out and spend a lot of time getting it right. If you don't want that hassle get a small computer store to build one for you.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/434837

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice