1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Advice with unknown problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by LegolasDImir, Jul 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. LegolasDImir

LegolasDImir Thread Starter

First Name:
    Bryan
    I have a dell latitude e6410 that is an Nvidia graphics card (not sure which one. They have two different motherboards, one with intel graphics and one with Nvidia graphics)
    As an extra note, this computer has an SSD and approx 2 gigs of ram at the moment

I have had all kinds of unusual problems with this computer.

First, it had windows 7 on it and would overheat and bluescreen and I thought the issue might be some kind of malware on the system. I have wiped it and installed elementary os. It seems to work fine for the most part but when I try to bring it back from sleep it just hangs on a black screen and I have not been able to pin it down. I have run memory tests as well as tried different sticks of ram without issue. The basic diagnostics on the motherboard has also not revealed anything. I'm at my wits end and am looking at buying another motherboard but I don't want to do that if it's not needed. Not only that I'm not really sure what I need to be looking for other than one that is for that model of laptop...

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

If the laptop overheats, it may be due to blocked vents. Buy a can of compressed air, open up the underside carefully, and blow out the dust. See if that helps. Also, some have said that you can raise the laptop from the desk by an a few cm's by using thin books or something and it helps.

3. snuffleufflegus

snuffleufflegus

i use a cake rack.sits bout a half inch to an inch off the table.Makes it easy to breathe and the laptop fits on it perfectly. 512mJJbe30L.jpg see i mage below.

4. LegolasDImir

First Name:
    Bryan
    I haven't had problems with overheating since installing Linux but the computer is still having wierd issues. Like I said it won't come back from sleep on its own and I don't really know why or what to check

5. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    It's quite common for restarting from sleep to give trouble in a Linux OS, if searching online doesn't find any possible fixes you could try a different distro like Ubuntu or Mint. Try a live session booting from a Usb stick first and test if sleep works, if it does you can then install onto the SSD.

6. LegolasDImir

First Name:
    Bryan
    I think I will start there. I might hit the elementary os forums... There are a few minor hw differences like a backlit keyboard and a fingerprint reader but I wouldn't think those would make that big of a difference would they?

7. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Going to the elementary forums is a good idea. I don't think those hardware differences will have any affect on sleep.

8. LegolasDImir

First Name:
    Bryan
    I'm in the stack exchange for that distro now. It seems that there are alot of variations of this problem. Some of them are also using Nvidia GPUs. Hence my idea was to swap the motherboard to one that has the intel GPU. This computer is for my sister in law who specifically requested a 'mac like' Linux distro. Does anyone have any other suggestions on a distro I might be able to try?

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1229589

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice