1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Advise on low cost, reliable, easy to use VPN router

Discussion in 'Networking' started by SteveSeven, Jan 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SteveSeven

SteveSeven Thread Starter

I am not experienced with networking and have limited help locally. I work in an office with 4 PCs running Win XP Home edition. All machines are hooked through a Linksys BEFSR 41 LAN router, to the internet via a Toshiba cable modem.

We have another computer with WinXP Pro being installed and will be used to act as a host for files, programs, etc. File sharing will be set so any of us can access files whenever we need to. 2 of us also want to be able to work from home and so I've been told using a VPN router is the way to go. One person has suggested NetGear.

I am looking for a VPN router that will be low cost, easy to set up and maintain, and be reliable.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. valis

valis Moderator

so you need a vpn router, or can you just go with a regular router and vpn software? That would be a bit cheaper.

3. SteveSeven

valis: I was told I should use a vpn router. I don't know about the software. If the software is easier to set up and use, and also less expensive, than I'm certainly open to it. What software program would you recommend?

If I decided on a VPN routerr, what model would you suggest?

As I said, I'm not experienced with networking. Thanks for your help.

4. valis

valis Moderator

I dunno. I don't use a vpn router, as last I checked they ran about $150 up.....I could very easily be wrong, as that was some time ago, but you can hit newegg.com and search for vpn routers and find out rather fast.

At work we use checkpoint, it's pretty reliable, and I use it multiple times weekly to remote into the network here.

Point is, there are dozens, if not hundreds, of solutions out there for what you want to do. If you managed to network 4 xp home machines, you've already got a leg up on the competition, as home doesn't play well with networking. If it's just a small business, and only two of you are looknig to remote in, and the machine is already connected to the internet, I'd take a look at logmein.com. See if that suits your needs.

5. The BOBS Fan

The BOBS Fan

I second the vote for LogMeIn.com -- solved all my wants and more. And it's FREE! (y) (Had a 125 post thread trying to get set up VPN correctly, and logmein solved it all)

Disclaimer: I am not affiliated with logmein in any way whatsoever other than a user.:cool:

TBF

6. SteveSeven

I'm confused. I went to the LogMeIn website and there is a cost associated with joining. What am I missing?

For what it's worth, the advice I'm getting locally is to stick with hardware solutions to meet the need to keep it as simply as possible. Not saying I'm committed to going that way but it doees seeem to make sense to me.

Does anyone have any firm opinions about Netgear routers?

7. The BOBS Fan

The BOBS Fan

The big green box on the left a little ways down that says: Get LogMeIn free -- Click Here:)

There is no cost to join. You get full program access for 30 days (or 120 minutes -- lol -- whichever comes first). The only difference I see that mattered to me at all was being able to print locally from the remote computer (and it didn't matter much). You can even use remote access from the remote puter to use other puters on that network.

You have the option to blank the remote puter (else whoever is watching can see everything you do), or even ask permission (if someone is logged in). There are lots of options, all available without joining. They are hoping you enjoy the program enough to want to use one of their other advertised, pay services.

I don't want to sound like I'm too excited over this, but it did solve everything I wanted to accomplish by connecting to my work network remotely. The only drawback for me is that you cannot use it invisibly, ie, in the background while a desktop user is doing something else. Also, only one person may access remotely at a time (I believe). Other than that, it's great.(y)

By the way, it was people on this forum that led me there, myself. Hope this helps ...

TBF

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/535967

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice