1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Advise please

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Noel, Feb 27, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Noel

Noel Thread Starter

Just upgraded my computer because of a hard drive failure. I lost everything. Starting over. What programs, other than winzip, would you recommend I download? I could only think of a few that I had from before: MediaPlayer, AdobeReader, winzip. Any other suggestions? Thanks for any input.

2. sparrownightly

sparrownightly

If you have a CD burner, I like Adaptec Easy CD Creator 4 (there may be a newer version). It is truly simple to use, and its '1-2-3' clicks for total system backup onto CD's is worth the price, let alone for the music recording aspects.

3. skyman

skyman

Be sure to add a virus scan program.

Also, load a photo program such as Canon or Corel.

4. Noel

Noel Thread Starter

Thanks for your ideas. Do you know where I can download one from (virus scan)?

5. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Don't forget your software updates, most recent drivers for your hardware--might as well get them now...might even want to install them to make sure they work right instead of finding out AFTER you've done all that other work only to find out your "new" driver was no good...

6. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Oh, yeah, and the guy-type moderators here like Irfanview...

7. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    You can get a free AntiVirus <a href=http://www.antivirus.cai.com/> here</a>.

BTW, On a weekly basis, while connected to the internet, click on the AntiVirus icon in your system tray. Then select, Tools>AutoDownload to sure you keep it up-to-date with the most recent viruses. Just so it's clear, you have to be connected to the internet before you select AutoUpdate. It needs to connect to the software makers website to download the virus pattern updates.

[This message has been edited by bhesson (edited 02-28-2001).]

8. Noel

Noel Thread Starter

Great Sites! Thanks so much!! and if you should think of anything else, please post and I'll keep an eye out.....

9. Noel

Noel Thread Starter

Great Sites! Thanks so much!! and if you should think of anything else, please post and I'll keep an eye out.....

10. webmin

webmin

why not try www.download.com they have tons of free apps but most of them are evals. all you have to do is type in the program name or what type of program it is

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/31580

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice