1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

"Adware.OneStep" malware on computer - need help to remove

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by Skitkorek, Apr 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Skitkorek

Skitkorek Thread Starter

Computer info. - Toshiba Satellite laptop with a 64 bit operating system. I am running Windows 7 Home Premium edition.

Security - McAfee Total Protection
    Malwarebytes Anti Maleware - free version
    Problem - Every time I run a security scan, it tells me that I have a problem called "Adware.OneStep" that needs to be removed. When trying to remove it, it says that they were unable to remove this threat. I have symptoms such as pop-up ads and likely slowing of the computer
    What I have done so far - I am a relative novice with computers. I did a search on this problem and here is what I found and have done so far.

Click the Windows "Start" button, then click "Control Panel."
    <LI id=jsArticleStep2 itxtvisited="1">Step 2
    Double click "System" and click the "System Restore" tab. Place a check on "Turn off System Restore." Click "OK" and restart your computer.
    <LI id=jsArticleStep3 itxtvisited="1">Step 3
    Launch your anti-virus protection program and update it to obtain the latest virus and spyware definitions. If you do not have an anti-virus program, download AVG free and install it on your computer. Launch the program and update it.
    <LI id=jsArticleStep4 itxtvisited="1">Step 4
    Run a full system scan. Delete all detected files.
    <LI id=jsArticleStep5 itxtvisited="1">Step 5
    Click the "Start" button and click "Run." Type "regedit" and press "Enter." This will bring you to the registry window.
    <LI id=jsArticleStep6 itxtvisited="1">Step 6
    Click "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" on the left panel and click "Software." Click "Microsoft" and click "Windows." Click "CurrentVersion" and click "Uninstall." Right click "OneStep" and click "Delete."
    <LI id=jsArticleStep7 itxtvisited="1">Step 7
    Click "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" and click "Software." Right click "OneStep" and click "Delete."
    <LI id=jsArticleStep8 itxtvisited="1">Step 8
    Click "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" and click "System." Click "CurrentControlSet" and click "Services." Right click "OneStep Service" and click "Delete." Exit the registry and empty the "Recycle Bin."
    <LI id=jsArticleStep9 itxtvisited="1">Step 9
    Follow the steps above to re-enable system restore. Restart your computer. This adware should be completely removed from your computer
    <LI itxtvisited="1">

My Results - I found the right areas of the registry, but could not find any "OneStep" files to delete at any of the places that the instructions led me to. So the problem remains the same.

Does anybody have any further suggestions on what I should do now to rectify this problem?

Thanks in advance,
    Scott Korek

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/917452

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice