1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Aero in Sun VirtualBox?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by TerryNet, Apr 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator Thread Starter

First Name:
    Terry
    I have Windows 7 RC installed as a guest in Sun VirtualBox. The installed Display adapter is "VirtualBox Graphics Adapter."

I have not been able to get aero working. Troubleshooting transparency and other aero effects results in the attached message.

Is this simply a VirtualBox restriction, and I should just wait and see if there is a future update? (I have the latest Guest Additions.)

Attached Files:

2. tomdkat

tomdkat Retired Trusted Advisor

3. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Are you running the latest version of VirtualBox? Have you posted the question on the VirtualBox forums? The second link tomdkat posted hasn't been updated since Windows 7 was released and is in the Mac forum.

I've had really flakey results with Windows 7 and VirtualBox. It's actually crashed my system. I now use VMware Workstation, and it works just fine with Aero on Windows 7 guest systems.

4. TerryNet

First Name:
    Terry
  5. TerryNet

First Name:
    Terry
    Yes, latest version 3.1.6r59338. No; you mean this isn't the only forum on the web? :)

6. tomdkat

tomdkat Retired Trusted Advisor

Doh! I wasn't aware the thread on the VirtualBox forums was in the Mac OS forum BUT it was last updated on March 10, 2010. Isn't that after W7's official release? :)

Peace...

7. lunarlander

lunarlander

I don't think the VirtualBox's emulated graphics adaptor supports areo. I didn't bother trying to get that feature working. It's just eye candy.

8. TerryNet

First Name:
    Terry
    I don't need it in VirtualBox; just wanted to see if I was overlooking some simple setting or whatever.

Some of the aero features are more than eye candy, and can be productivity enhancements.

9. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

Not even sure if you could do it with the latest version of Virtual PC.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!