1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Aero Randomly Turns off...

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by apinkpony, Aug 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. apinkpony

apinkpony Thread Starter

My Aero will just randomly turn off, even when I have it plugged into the wall and have it on "High performance" setting. It's really annoying because I don't particularly like the look of Vista Basic, only use it when I am doing something that I am not paying so much attention to the look or care as much (and want to save battery).

Also my COM Surrogate (i think thats wut its called) regularly has errors when I run videos/etc. This is a new thing, did not used to happen...

2. craigal

craigal

I recently had the COM surrogate message happening to me.

In my case I had installed NERO but it was an old version which was not quite vista compatible I believe. Once I upgraded the error did not reappear.

The AERO feature of Vista can get turned off sometimes if incompatible software is run that is not compatible. e.g. the DIVX web player.

Have you installed any software recently that is multimedia related?

Cheers

Craig

3. apinkpony

apinkpony Thread Starter

Hum well I have several multimedia applications. I have the VLC player, Miro, and um... well those are basically all I use.

I forgot that I had installed Nero. WEll it kind of installed... but only like half wayish. So I uninstalled that. I am not sure what is causing the other problem though, because I just installed Miro and i believe it's Vista compatible. Plus this has been accuring longer than just today... but right now I am running Firefox, Pidgin, Miro... that's it.

I have heard Java can cause it though... I will try updating that.

Updated Java, doesn't seem to have changed anything. Don't know what else really could be causing this problem. It sucks :-\ I love Aero lol.

4. apinkpony

apinkpony Thread Starter

Ok so. I upgraded to Java 6. No problems there. Aero still will not be on all the time even when I request it be on (like, manually going in and telling to be on). Also, itunes wont open. It just says "itunes encountered a problem", tried installing a new version of that, no luck.
    I haven't seen the COM Surrogate error since delete Nero, so that is good at least, but the other problems are just as frustrating if not more. Also another program of mine will open, but any time I try to do anything in it, it just has an error.

My computer has been running really smoothly it seems! No bugs, no spyware, no viruses, nothing...

Oh but also it's told me a few times that it has encountered problems with my tablet driver and my graphics driver. I've tried to update these but I have the newest version and I haven't heard of any problems with either... (Wacom tablet and ATI Radeon 2300HD)

Thank you soo much I really would like to get this fixed before I go to school (Thursday).

5. craigal

craigal

If NERO did not install properly, then the uninstall may not have completely removed it.

I would still suggest doing a complete install of a suitable version of NERO if you can.

What version did you try to install.

Cheers

Craig

6. apinkpony

apinkpony Thread Starter

Oh and now I should also mention in the last 2 days I have had 2 blue screens of death. This is all very recent developments...

THe version of Nero i tried to install was Nero 6.

Also the part of nero that installed did install properly, it just would not let me install the whole package, only particular programs.

7. craigal

craigal

I beleive that ou need to have NERO 7 to ensure vista comaptibility. I'm not sure which revision is required though.

8. apinkpony

apinkpony Thread Starter

Yes i think so. I forgot that when I tried to install but I looked and it appears to be completely uninstalled...

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/615781

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice