1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Aero system score

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by ssm42, Oct 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ssm42

ssm42 Thread Starter

When I rate my system with vista I get scores:

Processor: 5.3 (Intel core 2 duo 2.4 GHz)
    Memory: 5.2 (pc2 6400 - 4 GB)
    Graphics: 3.6
    Gaming graphics: 4.4 (128 MB nVidia 8600gs)
    Primary hard disk: 5.2
    I'm running a 64-bit version of Vista Ultimate
    Assuming these scores are out of 10...

Processor: I have a 2.4 GHz T8300. 5.3 seems a little low?
    Memory: How is it possible, that with 4 GB of the fastest RAM my computer can handle, my score is only 5.2???
    Graphics: This is the killer. I have every single aero tweak that vista offers enabled. I adjusted aero to run for best visuals. Every check box is checked. How how how is my score only a 3.6?
    Primary hard disk: Not really an issue but I am a little confused about how a 150 GB 7200 RPM disk is only a 5.2. Do they take into account solid states? Is a solid state twice as fast?

Please forgive my ignorance if this is a dumb question.

2. dlsayremn

dlsayremn

Score system is 1.0 to 5.9. Over all system score is just the lowest component score. Just how each score is determined I am not sure.

I have a Presario SR2180NX, Intel Pentium D (dual) 2.80 Hz, 3.00GB RAM, using on board Intel Graphics, 183 GB HD (only using 55GB), and these are my ratings.

Processor: 4.7
    Memory: 5.3
    Graphics: 3.5
    Gaming graphics: 3.2
    Primary hard disk: 5.5

To find out more information about scoring:
    In Control Panel, System Click on the words Windows Experience Index.
    The Performance Information and Tools page will come up.Click on Learn more about the scores online.
    Go to page at MS. Doesn't expain much.

3. ssm42

ssm42 Thread Starter

Out of 6. Wow.
    Does the aero score even go over 3.6? How?

Whats the location of the Performance Information and Tools page? (Im trying to set a keyboard shortcut)

4. jmwills

jmwills

Personally, I think there is too much emphasis placed on these scores.

5. dlsayremn

dlsayremn

The way MS explains it.
    3.0 Vista will work, barely. Not all the whistles and bells, no Aero.
    5.0 was assigned "best" availible system components at the time standards were developed.(2006)

6. Antiapplekid

Antiapplekid

The aero score depends on your graphics card for example I have a Dell Insipron E1705

Core 2 Duo 2.0 GHZ
    2GB of Ram
    Radeon 1400 Mobile

My Score is 3.5

7. wiley8425

wiley8425

Here are my scores (for the system listed below):

Processor - 5.4
    Memory - 5.9
    Graphics - 5.9
    Gaming Graphics - 5.5
    Primary Hard Disk - 5.9

Overall score - 5.4

8. ssm42

ssm42 Thread Starter

wiley-
    what are your system details? howd you get your numbers so high?

jmwills-
    I agree to a certain extend... Its a great marketing scheme for people like me, but that's just it: its a marketing scheme. I'm a little ocd about having my system run exactly how I want it and configuring it to look as perty as possible. Ratings out of 6? Dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb.
    I also like to know that while I thought I had all the aero features enabled I apparently am missing quite a few.

How can I find those aero features that will bring my graphics rating up to 5.9??

Thanks for the feedback

9. Gulo Luseus

Gulo Luseus

Dont worry about WEI ratings, they mean pretty much nothing. My system scores 5.5 ( drops on memory with drive at 5.7), and if thats the truth then I have no idea at all how any rig gets a good score.
    Ignore it, it makes no difference in real terms :)

10. dlsayremn

dlsayremn

ssm42, just a guess on how wiley8425 got such good ratingson his system - at least $3700 with a lot of time and work. Probabley add another $300+ for the monitor - anything with 3-4 ms response time would run about that much; and at least $200 for the case - $400 if he uses water cooling.

wiley, beautiful system.

11. Elvandil

Elvandil

Yes, me, too. I don't think they correspond too well to real results. My graphics score was very low when I first installed Vista, but all games worked fine, even those that had higher Vista requirements that I had.

Attached Files:

12. Courtneyc

Courtneyc

For the record, it doesn't matter how you tweak Aero; it is disabled when the test is run. The parts of Aero are tested separately; heavy emphasis is placed on T&L, memory, and transfer speed. That's why your screen blinks out during the test.

Incidentally, moving your mouse during the video test can lower your score; the mouse pointer is controlled by the video card.

Courtney

13. wiley8425

wiley8425

actually about $2000 for the components. Tower was about $50, power supply I think was around $200 or so (may have been more, I don't remember). Mobo was about $200, processor $60, memory about $150 or so. Most expensive parts were the graphics cards @ $250/each. 4 500GB drives were about $200 a piece. Monitor has 5ms response time and was about $329. (Had it before I built the AMD system though.) Stock cooling (although I did add a couple of fans). Just did research and got Overclocking capable memory (with built-in cooling) and still run it at the default. My system isn't even overclocked.. otherwise I could probably get the processor score higher. The graphics are high because the system is running in SLI. I'd probably get around 5.2 or 5.3 without it though. (I'm guessing.)

Some of the components just transfered over from my older system, namely the monitor, SB X-Fi, and the speakers. I did end up buying everything else though.

14. wiley8425

wiley8425

The same system details listed in my sig. I got components that work together. Nvidia chipset on the motherboard, Nvidia graphics cards, OCZ memory, RAID capable HDDs (4 of the same type/size/same Manufacturer.) The mobo I bought is actually capable of being overclocked, but I'm pretty happy with it as it is. Frankly, I don't know enough about overclocking to risk it, and I doubt I'd see much of a gain from doing it anyway.

15. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

That is not a bad score for that type of drive. I have a raptor that scores 5.9 so yours is fine.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/758915

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice