AFCI breakers

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

lexmarks567

Well since you all know about the quality of the wiring jobs in this trailer would AFCI breakers make it safer. Do they make them for homeline. They cost about $40 a piece and i would need 5 regulars and 1 tandem. AFCI breakers detect short circuits and arcs in the wires.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AFCI

K7M

The arc fault breakers are available for you box. The problem with installing arc fault in old installation is the neutrals in most cases are all tied together in every box. If neutrals from 2 different circuits are tied together the arc fault will continually trip. You would have to purchase a couple and test them out. As far as a 2 pole arc fault I have not seen one.

K7M is correct i what he said. I'll add this - I would personally not add arc-fault circuit breakers. Would it make things safer? Maybe, but... You could do a lot of other (better) things that would enhance safety more than adding arc-fault circuit breakers in my opinion.

Also, consider this - Arc-fault circuit breakers have only recently been a code requirement for new home construction in bedrooms, living rooms and other rooms where people gather and sleep. I suspect less than 1/2 of 1% of all homes have arc-fault circuit breakers.

If you have any receptacles (especially in bedrooms) in areas that often have a lot of lint or dust-bunnies in which you are constantly plugging-in and unplugging loads (e.g. appliances) that may spark...then you might be a candidate for arc-fault circuit breakers. My suggestion would be to vacuum and dust more often if you believe there is enough lint within an inch or so of your receptacles to cause a fire...

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online