1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Africam Streaming Webcam

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by Genie616, Feb 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Genie616

Genie616 Thread Starter

www.Africam.com has a streaming webcam on a waterhole in S. Africa. When you arrive at that site, you can click on various things...including a bald eagle nest in USA, but that one is not streaming. It refreshes every 30 seconds. The one I am writing for help on is called NkorhoPan. When I click on it, I get the screen, but instead of saying "connected", it says "media inactive". I know it has to be my computer in some way, because friends are having no problem. I have a Toshiba Laptop, OS XP Home...use Windows Media Player 10. I tried downloading Media Player 11, but that didn't solve the problem, so I went back to WMP 10. I should tell you that up intil a few days ago, I was having no problem getting the waterhole site. I have not downloaded anything, have not installed any new programs, etc. If anyone has anything to suggest, please, please, help me.

2. Blackmirror

Blackmirror

Hello the cam sometimes goes offline .. if thats the case then you will get media inactive ...

no problem with your pc at all

3. tu4sgTech

tu4sgTech

The problem is not with the site (africam.com), because I am able to access and view the streaming videos with no problem. Also, Genie616 is also having problems viewing other streaming videos, such as the Grizzly Bears which are also on the Wavelit.com site.

4. PCG342

PCG342 Banned

I always get a black screen, too...

5. Blackmirror

Blackmirror

Are you recieving media inactive now if you try to view .. at this moment

6. Genie616

Genie616 Thread Starter

Yes, I receive Media Inactive at every site...including www.wavelit.com Music, Sports, etc RIGHT NOW and every time

7. PCG342

PCG342 Banned

Just a black screen.

8. tu4sgTech

tu4sgTech

Genie616 is getting nothing but a black screen in the "screen" portion of her media window. The "Media Inactive" is appearing in the wide button just below the viewing screen, where I see the word "Connected", with a properly function video stream appearing in the view screen portion.

9. Blackmirror

Blackmirror

Yes and the point i was making is the times the webcam is not working that is the message you will get .....I have been watching this cam for months .. however to check that everything is running okay

Please check that you have play videos in webpages selected in tools internet options multimedia
    empty all temp files and cookies and set cache to 60 mb in tools internet options GENERAL

and reset all security settings to default levels in security

Try that please and let me know if you can see it now

and what sort of internet connection are you using dial up /broadband etc

10. PCG342

PCG342 Banned

I right-clicked it in Firefox and set it to buffer 60 secs at a time, and now it works... (y)

11. Genie616

Genie616 Thread Starter

I did everything you said and it still doesn't give me a picture...it still says Media Inactive where it should say Connected...

I have Toshiba laptop, fairly new...has windows XP Home...using cable modem highspeed internet access
    This problem just started about 4 days ago...I had watched the waterhole site for a couple of months with no problem....I can't imagine what glitch occurred in my computer to give me this problem

12. Blackmirror

Blackmirror

Well you know pcs are a pain at the best of times:D .. im not sure what player the Africa cam uses

you could try uninstalling Flash and shockwave players and reinstalling them .. meanwhile i will see whati can find out

Uninstallers here http://sdc.shockwave.com/shockwave/download/alternates/

13. Blackmirror

Blackmirror

What are the minimum system requirements to use Wavelit.com?
    Minimum System Requirements:
    - Any system capable of running one of the following web browsers: Internet Explorer 5.0 or above, Netscape Navigator 6.1 or above, or Firefox 1.5 or above (e.g., Windows 95 and above or Macintosh 7.6.1 and above)
    - Web browser: Internet Explorer, Firefox, Opera, Netscape
    Flash Plug-in (version 6).
    - A 56Kbps modem, or faster Internet connection (DSL, T1, cable modem, ISDN, etc.)
    - Windows Media Player version 9 or above
    - 16-bit sound card
    - Speakers or headphones

So it uses flash so try my suggestion

14. Blackmirror

Blackmirror

15. Genie616

Genie616 Thread Starter

Thanks Blackmirror for working on my problem. I am in process of doing the uninstall and reinstall....just wanted you to know I am still trying. Will post again when I have finished all your recommendations...Genie

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/541138

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice