1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

After 20 Minutes my computer starts freezing up?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ChristinaS, Oct 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ChristinaS

ChristinaS Thread Starter

Freezing lasts between 30 - 60 seconds then I can move the mouse or type for approx. 5 seconds before it freezes again. Could my HD be getting to hot or *please say no to this one* possibly something wrong with it?

2. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

Do you have an up-to-date antivirus program installed AND have you updated the virus definitions THIS WEEK?

Next thing is to check MSCONFIG and see what is in the startup group. Anything fishy?

Also be sure your fans are all running freely and that the heatsink on the processor and power supply aren't clogged with dust.

3. ChristinaS

No, but I do have a disk for McAfee 6.0 that I am considering installing today just to have SOME protection even though it's an older version.

In MSCONFIG, all I have on the start menu is the [jusched] C:\Program Files\Java ...... and Earthlink Total Access. There is one more thing, but it has no "title" and I can't read the address location for it other than HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows

As for the fans they are all running and not clogged, however, once I moved the tower from the cubby under the desk, I haven't had any problems as far as freezing up.

4. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

The cubby under the desk is NOT a good place for a computer. I don't even know why they make them, they are just heat traps.

As for McAfee 6.0 as long as it's never been installed on a computer, I 'think' you should still have a year of updates, but if you don't there is no use in installing it, it's yesterday's newspaper.

5. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

Last year's edition of any antivirus program, without updates, isn't even "some protection" as you put it.. It is as near useless as it gets.

Get the updates or you have nothing.

And, about those "cubby holes": If you can't get a eight-inch-square vent hole at the top and bottom of it, it's like has been said--a heat trap.

6. ChristinaS

Ok, so is there a free anti virus that anyone would recommend?? I know there are trials out there for major groups like Norton et al, but since we've spent so much just getting this computer up and going it's going to be a minute or a month before I can get any virus protection software. I don't know that the McAfee I have was ever installed on a computer, it came with some cables I got when I bought the computer b/c the shop I bought it couldn't find the cables and gave me a bag with a bunch of stuff in it...sounds odd..it is odd...but it worked for me...lol.

thanks!

7. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

They have McAfee and Norton both, off and on, free after rebate. If you have the cd or the user's manual to tear the title page out, you can qualify for the upgrade portion of the rebate that makes it free.

8. replay

replay

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/168942

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice