1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

After cleaning XP I cannot even get into Safe Mode...Help !

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by bobb4ku, Jan 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bobb4ku

bobb4ku Thread Starter

After scanning all temp areas...the registry...defragging...(I use a total of 12 programs...not all are for cleaning)....cleaning out all junk...I was able to restart multiple times and all seemed ok....after shutting down and coming back 2 days later I cant even boot into the Safe Mode. I admit I didnt check what the files are-were that I marked for delection...obviously I screwed up...What can I do ?

When I turn on the system the dual-boot screen appears ...I choose XP from the menu, after a few seconds the XP logo appears leading me to think all is well... then nothing (blank screen)...maybe 10 seconds later I hear a click from within my system and the machine reboots...upon reboot the option to go into Safe Mode appears, I choose that but then only a few files load and the system hangs...I have to hit the manual reset on the front panel of my box which repeats the above.

Any help, thoughts will save my system I'd appreciate it...thanks in advance for replying :( !!!!

2. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    If you used one the "Registry Cleaners" to speed up your system, then it just may have over cleaned it.

If you used one, which ones did you use?
    Make a GOOD backup of your data, as you may be in for a rebuld of the OS.

3. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

4. stantley

stantley

It might be worth trying to boot up in "Last Known Good Configuration".

5. Phantom010

He might not even have his userinit.exe file anymore.

6. bobb4ku

bobb4ku Thread Starter

Reply to all...first, thanks for your replies-ideas...While at the safe mode menu, I dont believe I had the option of Last Known Good Configuration but I will go back and check. I can access My Documents folder via Linux HD, so are you telling I have to reinstall XP ? Please NO ! All those patches-fix UGH

Is there some tool-program I can run from my XP OEM CD ? To rebuild....Recovery Console, Rescue ? Anything ? :(

7. bobb4ku

bobb4ku Thread Starter

Phantom010...is userinit.exe = Last Known Good Configuration ? Which would explain my previous post

8. Phantom010

userinit.exe handles the startup process and is responsible for establishing network connections and starting the main Windows Explorer shell. Your computer will not boot without it.

However, we have no way of really knowing if it's missing on your computer, as many causes can prevent your computer from booting.

It's not related to Last Known Good Configuration.

9. bobb4ku

bobb4ku Thread Starter

As mentioned before I can access the XP HD via Linux, so I can check to see if the file still exists...is it in the Windows folder...hidden ?

10. Phantom010

C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exe

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1084305

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice