1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

after cloning 500g external only recognizes source 18g

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mbsz53, Oct 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mbsz53

mbsz53 Thread Starter

i bought a 500 gig book. cloned c drive on desk top. External reads full @ the capacity 0f c which is 18 g.
    how do i fix this and what is the best way to do this back up and be able to carry files on a trip?

2. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

Cloning a drive is usually done only when getting ready to switch out an old drive for a new one. Or to put somwhere safe as an exact copy of the drive that is ready to go in in the event of a failure on the part of the current drive. A lot, if not all cloning programs clone partition for partition. That was your result. Subsequently you can use a non-destructive partition manager to reclaim the full capacity of the drive again.

To carry files on a trip you probably don't want to clone, either a simple copy and paste of your Documents folder or a full data backup (no OS or applications) with something like Acronis True Image (data option) or Syncback or SyncToy is a good way to back up and take the files on the road.

3. mbsz53

mbsz53 Thread Starter

Thank you for your reply. I would like to keep the clone just in case there are problems and of course have the other 482g avail. Do you know of a reliable freeware partition destroyer or is it possible to do another full system back up and not have the partition from the get go?

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

If you use acronis true image in advanced mode, it will allow you to clone and keep the same partition, resize the partition, keep the same % of partition, etc.

If all you want is a backup, why not just make an image file? An image of an 18 gig drive [even if it was completely full] would be no more than 12-14gig or so. That would allow you to use the rest of the drive for other things.

5. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

I also have Acronis so that's what I am familiar with and can use to expand the partition in the process of cloning. GParted LiveCD can be used subsequently to either expand the 18gig partition to the full size of the drive or add additional partitions to restore the full capacity. As crjdriver mentions though, if you wanted to use the drive for other additional purposes, its a better idea to make a clone image and store that on the drive.

6. mbsz53

mbsz53 Thread Starter

Thank you for your help. It is greatly appreciated.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/759307

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice