1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

After DeFrag w/ MS, hardrive won't stop - Norton Sys Works 2003 to blame?

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by nirvananow, Apr 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. nirvananow

nirvananow Thread Starter

Hello,
    After I used Norton System works (from disc) to correct a suspected Registry problem, I used the MS Defragger and once the C: drive finished defragging - now it won't stop running! I DO have various parts of NSysWrks2003 installed - like GoBack, which I could, I think, use to revert to before I defragged, and that won't try to revert the hard drive too ~ right? :confused: this is an older system - Dell Optiplex GX1 w/Win98 2nd, and 2 HD's partitioned with Partition Magic. I know i had this probem once before, and I fixed it but I can't remember how....
    Suggestions? :rolleyes:
    Also, I WOULD like to completely remove Sys Works, but I seem to remember reading that to REALLY get rid of ALL instances of it - you had to go to the Sytemax web site and download something.
    It won't do it completely by itself and the Add/Remove progams doesn't help = except maybe to remove the icon. I know the software is dated, notorious for hogging system rescources, and creates problems when other software is used. And I am slowly replacing everything that it could do with better (and FREE (y)) software such as Avast etc.
    Thanks for your help.
    nirvananow

2. nirvananow

Well ~_~ in the last 48 hours I have ran a thourough Avast scan, fixed what errors there were with Reg. Mechanic, but still to no avail - anybody have any other suggestions?
    thanx....

3. yohanjackman

yohanjackman

It won't stop running? Care to explain in finer detail?? I work with NSW 2003 with no problems!...Lemme know what's going on...

4. nirvananow

One of the 2 hard drives I have installed just sounds like it's continuing to de-frag, though the sys tools defrag said it was done DAYs ago and I quit the program. Now, I don't even think it has any thing to do with Norton Sys 2003, becaused I uninstalled everything but GoBack & Smart Sweep, then ran a thourough Avast scan, and fixed the registry with Registry Mechanic - So, you still use NorSysWrk 2003 with no problem and LIKE it - is there any part of the suite you do without.
    BTW ~ thank you for replying ! !

5. yohanjackman

yohanjackman

Is the HDD running?? From what I read...It sounds like it's not....Plz make clear....I pretty much use everything in the NSW 2003 Suite. I update regularly so it's as good as NAV2007....and the best part is...I got it free!!

6. nirvananow

Hey Yohan - & al.
    Well the run light is flickering like crazy - sporadically, you know like when Windows loads, and you can hear the read/write heads moving around back and forth, so - what ese could be making that kind of noise in the case but the HD(s)? Remember this system is Win 98 2nd ed.
    So, last night used the Run option, typed in MSConfig, used Selective Startup - then when the command (or DOS options?) line options come up, I selected #4. "Use step by step confrimation" to load Windows.,then I watched and listened to the HD after each seletcion to see just WHEN the noise / flickering started. And it didn't start until after the VERY LAST question - "Load msmouse.vxd" - I answer "y" for yes, Windows loads, the HD starts scrambling and after I see the Win 98 screen then the desktop... the HD = just doesn't stop.

Now heres the weird thing ~ even if I answer "No" to the last ? (which disables the mouse yeah?) I get the same result = Windows loads, HD continues to run. :confused:

I had expected that the activity might start up after the ? "Load NSW drivers and (etc..)" but no, no action. - This, I believe tells me, that it's not any ONE individual thing, but the sum total of all.... I think:D

I know I've dealt with this before ~ but I just cant' remember what or how I resolved it - might have been one of those "Wow, it stopped" but you're not quite sure what you did.
    Again, thanks for your attn. Yee Haw.... aint computers fun - this is my workhorse and also experimental system, the one I take chances sometimes with..:p
    nirvananow

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!