1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

After formatting C drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bluebell, Jan 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bluebell

bluebell Thread Starter

After formatting, as the computer is loading with the bootdisk the following appears...

Bad or missing C:\Windows\HIMEM.SYS error in Config.sys line 3

Bad or missing C:|Windows\IFSHLP.SYS error in Config.sys line4

A:\>C|Windows|Smartdrv.exe/X

How do I correct this? Please help, for I'm new to this and apparently not doing to well.

Thanks!

2. JSanguancheu

JSanguancheu

Are you using a floppy bootdisk?
    The lines in your config.sys file are trying to load up files from the C: drive instead of from the A:

I could go into how to edit the files but it would probably be easier just to point you to a place to make a new bootdisk. :)

Like here: http://www.bootdisk.com/original.htm

Use the Windows 98 SE OEM version. It will ask you to insert a floppy and then create the disk for you.

Copy Smartdrv.exe from your current disk to the new one and make sure you run it before trying to install Windows 2000/Me/XP.

A:\Smartdrv <enter>

3. bluebell

bluebell Thread Starter

Thank you for the help. I downloaded the bootdisk you suggested and now......this

Bad or missing HIMEM.SYS line 21
    Bad or missing RAMDRIVE.sys line 31

Warning-high memory not available. Additional low memory will be used instead.

Bad command or file name
    Path not found-:\Command.com
    File not found-extract.exe
    File not found-readme.txt

Please insert Windows 98 Startup Disk 2 (I don't have this?)

Help! I'm lost. :)

4. JSanguancheu

JSanguancheu

Hi bluebell,

Just downloaded the win 98 SE OEM version and tried it out myself. Works just fine.

Are you sure you didn't download the Custom version my mistake?

Try downloading it again. Or use the the Win 98 OEM version on the same page. I tried that one too. :)

Make sure it's the OEM version.

Let me know how it turns out.

Also, what are your system stats?
    cpu, ram, harddrives, cdrom, cdrw, dvd, video, sound, etc..
    What Windows version are you planning on installing?

5. bluebell

bluebell Thread Starter

Hi,

I really appreciate your help with this. I did use the right bootdisk and that is the message I received. I attached the info that came with the computer and an invoice that states what has been added. I loaned the Packard Bell computer and when it was returned I had a none working computer. I'm trying to install Windows 98. Hope this info is of some help.

Thanks so much, bluebell

6. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Did you just save the file to the floppy disk? If so, you can't do that, you MUST expand it to the floppy disk by double clicking on it.......also, be sure the bios is set to boot to the floppy disk first.

7. Matrikx_

Matrikx_

If you are recieving an error that says Bad or missing file. Then you may have a bad floppy disk. Try a new one as a sector of the floppy may be bad.

8. bluebell

bluebell Thread Starter

Hi,

Thanks for your help, I made a new bootdisk and everything was going well until I started installing WIN98. I now receive this message...Window's 98 requires a computer with 66 MHz or faster processor. What now?? :(

Info for this computer is as follows:

Packard Bell Legend 2075 MT MM
    Microprocessor CPU-486-DX2
    Speed- 66MHz
    RAM-Originally 8, 8 more was added

Again, I would appreciate any help! :)

Thanks, Bluebell

9. Matrikx_

Matrikx_

Unfortunately it looks like you are going tohave to upgrade your PC. And Personally i think you will be much much happier for doing so. The Win 98 Os requires this speed so theres nothing you can do to defeat this however, you may be able to install Win 95.

10. JSanguancheu

JSanguancheu

Wow. I haven't worked with a 486 machine in several years..

Is this a secondary machine you're trying to resurrect for a young one?

I don't believe Win98 will work with a PC that old. You could try Windows 95 if you can get your hands on a copy. Microsoft no longer supports Windows 95 though.

As matrikx said, it would probably be more cost and time effective to get a newer machine. Even a used one from ebay..

:(

11. bluebell

bluebell Thread Starter

Hi,

Thanks to all of you for your help.

Originally the PB had WINS 95, but when it was returned to me it had no OS. I was able to install WINS 98 on it last week, but it was so slow. I re-partitioned it and now I'm not able to even install WINS 98.

Your right, my aim is to fix it for my child. My computer's OS is WINS XP and I love it.

Again, thanks for your help and I'll try the WINS 95.

bluebell :D

12. bluebell

bluebell Thread Starter

Hi,

I was able to install WINS 95 and thought my problems were solved....not so!

When I try to install Microsoft Works I receive the following error message...Cannot find the file D: setup (for one of it's components). Make sure the path and filemane are correct and that all required libraries are available. Or, I have received this message...Setup was unable to find SHARE.EXE on your system. It is required to run this application. Please fix your system and rerun Setup.

I would love to fix this system, but have no idea how to solve this problem. Help, again!

Thanks, bluebell :)

13. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Start button, run, then type sysedit and hit ok....

go to the autoexec.bat tab and add this line......save changes, reboot and try again.

LH SHARE.EXE /L:500 /F:5100

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/115780

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice