1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

after IE6 installation win 98 won't close

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by quiz, Dec 8, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. quiz

quiz Thread Starter

I installed IE6 from the windows site last week and it takes forever now for windows to close down when I shut down so I have had to turn off at the power each time. I am uncertain as to which bits I could safely delete so am still wondering what to do.

2. LadyLisa

LadyLisa

Do you get any type of message on your screen like 'Windows is now shutting down'?

Do you have Fast Shutdown enabled? I can't really see how installing IE6 would have changed this but you could check.

To enable it do the following

Click Start, point to Programs, point to Accessories, point to System tools, and then click System Information.

On the Tools menu, click System Configuration Utility.

On the General tab, click Advanced.

Click the Disable Fast Shutdown check box to clear it, click OK, and then click OK again.

Click Yes when you are prompted to restart your computer.

3. quiz

quiz Thread Starter

I do get the message straight away about windows shutting down.

It still closes quickly when I am just on the computer.

I had a look at that fast shutdown you mentioned but haven't tried it yet because of all those warning messages above about not changing anything. Will look at doing that later maybe.

I am using another browser just now to see if there is any difference when I close.

4. quiz

quiz Thread Starter

I DID end up checking the disabling of fast shutdown as nothing has worked so far, but windows kept on restarting over and over each time I clicked on shutdown, so I returned it to the way it was.

So I am still trying out things.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/61176

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice