1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

After installed Service Pack 2, Monitor not working correctly

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Fidelio1st, Feb 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Fidelio1st

Fidelio1st Thread Starter

EMachines T4510, Windows XP Professional, Dell m782 monitor

My hard drive recently crashed and I replaced it with a Seagate Ultra ATA 100, 120gb. I installed all programs back on it fine, which I was doing during Windows update, and everything was working fine. Then when it installed Service Pack 2 and restarted, my Dell m782 monitor doesn’t work properly, the colors are all messed up.

In the Display Properties—Settings, it will not let me go above a screen resolution of 640 x 480 pixels. I also cannot change the Color Quality from “Lowest 4 bit”. Under Advanced—Monitor, it does not show my monitor, only “Default Monitor” and it will not let me click on Properties. I also started in Safe Mode to try and change, and that does not work either.

When I go to my Device Manager, under Other Devices, there is a question mark next to: Video Controller (VGA Compatible). I’ve gone to properties and clicked “update driver” but it doesn’t find it. I do not have the disc for my monitor. I also downloaded the driver from the dell website: http://support.us.dell.com/support/...aseid=R34847&formatcnt=1&libid=0&fileid=38772

It doesn’t work and I noticed under view View compatible systems and operating systems, it lists only Dell systems. So is this the correct driver? I searched for another but couldn’t find it.

I have a restore point set to right before I installed Service Pack 2. Should I restore to that point, and then copy the correct driver to disc, then install Service Pack 2, and if I have the same problem, take the driver from the disc? If so, how do I find it?

What should I do from here? Please help.

2. telegramsam

telegramsam

Ok, the driver for your video card has very little to do with the monitor. Uninstall that driver.

I looked at the eMachines site, and don't see a download available, but I see that you have Intel graphics. Do you have the driver CD that came with your computer? If so, run the wizard to install the device and point the wizard to the CDROM.

Otherwise, you'll have to download it from Intel.

3. Fidelio1st

Fidelio1st Thread Starter

FIXED. Downloaded driver from Intel. Thanks.

4. telegramsam

telegramsam

You're welcome.

You can mark this thread solved if you like.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/541244

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice